Free body diagram (centripetal force)

In summary: The diagram does not represent the sum of all the forces. The sum of all the forces would be the net force, which in this case would be the centripetal force. The diagram does not represent the sum of all the forces.
dnt

Homework Statement

simple question really - how do you draw the free body diagram for a car going around a corner?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the net force, the centripetal force, points towards the middle. i have an engine force pointing tangentally outwards...where is the missing force? is it friction? and when i try to figure out its direction i have it pointing between the engine force and centripetal force but that doesn't make sense if its friction.

am i on the right path? does this make sense so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, friction is definitely present.

Engine force usually isn't needed, but it's direction would be to accelerate the car forward.

How about forces in the vertical direction?

Redbelly98 said:
Yes, friction is definitely present.

Engine force usually isn't needed, but it's direction would be to accelerate the car forward.

How about forces in the vertical direction?

forces vertically would be weight and normal i think.

im trying to draw my diagram from a birds eye view. and i can't figure out which way friction would point or if there is another force too. my logic is that if there is a forward force (engine force?) there would have to be at least one other force such taht those vectors add up to the centripetal force (which is perpendicular to the engine force and points towards the center of the circle).

friction should be directly opposite to the engine force right?

fredrick08 said:
friction should be directly opposite to the engine force right?

yes but then how do those add up to the centripetal force? on the diagram it doesn't add up

Centripetal force is a net force on the car, it is caused by one or more of the other forces that have been mentioned.

Redbelly98 said:
Centripetal force is a net force on the car, it is caused by one or more of the other forces that have been mentioned.

but i thought the sum of all the forces has to equal the net force (ie, centripetal force) - how come on my diagram those force vectors don't add up to the centripetal force vector?

1. What is a free body diagram in relation to centripetal force?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object in a circular motion, with the centripetal force being one of them. It helps to understand the direction and magnitude of forces involved in circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force represented in a free body diagram?

Centripetal force is represented as a vector pointing towards the center of the circle, perpendicular to the velocity of the object. It is labeled with the symbol "Fc" in the free body diagram.

3. What are the other forces that can be present in a free body diagram of centripetal force?

Other forces that may be present in a free body diagram of centripetal force include the force of gravity, normal force, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How is the magnitude of centripetal force determined in a free body diagram?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be determined using the equation Fc = mv²/r, where "m" is the mass of the object, "v" is the velocity, and "r" is the radius of the circular motion.

5. Why is a free body diagram important for understanding centripetal force?

A free body diagram is important because it helps to visualize and analyze the forces involved in circular motion, including centripetal force. It also allows for the application of Newton's laws of motion to determine the acceleration and overall motion of the object.