Directional derivative without reparametrization

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the directional derivative of a function at a given point in the direction of a vector. The speaker disagrees with the suggested method of using del g with respect to s and t dotted with a normalized vector, arguing that the variables used in the problem imply polar coordinates while the vector is given in Cartesian coordinates. The expert suggests converting the function into Cartesian coordinates for an easier solution.
ZPlayer
Hi, Everyone,

I have the following problem. Given function is g (s, t) = s ^ 2 * exp (t). Find directional derivative of the function at the point (2,0) in direction of vector v = i + j. The book says to find del g with respect to s and t and dot it with normalized v. But I disagree because g is a function of s and t (not x and y) whereas v is defined as i + j. Can somebody help?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
"x and y" and "s and t" are just SYMBOLS. You can call the coordinates anything you like as long as you are consistent. Obviously this problem is asking you do the problem in "s,t space". That is, just treat "s" and "t" as another name for "x" and "y".

Ok. The next problem in the book is:

"Find directional derivative of the function at the given point in the direction of the vector v. The function is g(r, theta) = exp (-r) * sin (theta), the point is (0, Pi/3) and v = 3i - 2j."

In solutions manual, they solve it just like you suggested, i.e. dot del g with normalized v. However, I think the choice of variables in this case makes it apparent that r implies radius and theta is angle, so the function is formulated in polar coordinates. However, the direction vector is in Cartesian coordinates. Do you think that they answer is correct? If yes, please explain why.

Thank you.

WHAT answer is correct? [itex]\nabla g[/itex] is a vector. In Cartesian coordinates it is given by
[tex]\nabla g= \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex]
In polar coordinates it has a very different formula in terms of the partial derivatives of r and [itex]\theta[/itex]! You can calculate them, but since they are somewhat more complicated, the best way to do this problem is to convert [itex]g(r, \theta) = e^{-r}sin(\theta)[/itex] into Cartesian coordinates.

1. What is a directional derivative without reparametrization?

A directional derivative without reparametrization is a mathematical concept used in multivariate calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It does not require the use of a new parameter, unlike the traditional definition of directional derivative.

2. How is a directional derivative without reparametrization different from the traditional definition?

The traditional definition of directional derivative involves the use of a new parameter, usually denoted by t, to represent the direction in which the rate of change is being calculated. In contrast, a directional derivative without reparametrization does not require the use of a new parameter and instead uses the gradient of the function to determine the rate of change in a particular direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating a directional derivative without reparametrization?

The formula for calculating a directional derivative without reparametrization is given by D_uf(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) · u, where D_uf(x,y) represents the directional derivative of the function f(x,y) in the direction of the unit vector u.

4. What is the significance of a directional derivative without reparametrization in real-world applications?

A directional derivative without reparametrization is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer graphics. It allows for the calculation of the rate of change of a function in a particular direction, which can help in understanding the behavior of complex systems and optimizing processes.

5. How can I calculate a directional derivative without reparametrization for a specific function?

To calculate a directional derivative without reparametrization for a specific function, you will need to find the gradient of the function and the unit vector representing the direction in which the rate of change is being calculated. You can then plug these values into the formula D_uf(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) · u to obtain the directional derivative.