Isomorphisms between cyclic groups

In summary, the total number of isomorphisms from G to G' is equal to the number of generators of G', which is given by \theta(a)=b^k where gcd(k,m)=1. This is because each mapping of a generator to a generator gives an isomorphism, and it is easy to prove that \theta must map a generator to a generator. Therefore, the number of generators in G' determines the number of possible isomorphisms. Additionally, once a generator is mapped, all other elements in the group are also fixed, meaning that multiple mappings for different generators are not possible.
sutupidmath
Ok, here is something i thought i understood, but it turns out i am having difficulties fully grasping/proving it.

Let [tex]\theta:G->G'[/tex] be an isomorphism between G and G', where o(G)=m=o(G'), and both G and G' are cyclic, i.e. G=[a] and G'=

So my question is, when we want to find the total number of isomorphisms from G to G', i 'know' that the total number of such isomorphisms is basically
the number of generators of G':
[tex]\theta(a)=b^k[/tex] where gcd(k,m)=1. But i don't really understand why? That is, how are we sure that by just counting the number of generators on G' we are actually finding the total number of such isomorphisms. ?

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose [itex]\theta[/itex] were any isomorphism from G to G'. Apply [itex]\theta[/itex] to a generator of G. It is simple to prove that [itex]\theta[/itex] MUST map a generator to a generator. So it is easy to see that it is a matter of how many generators each has: each mapping of generator to generator gives an isomorphism.

well, yeah, i know how to prove that an isomorphism perserves the order of each element, and thus must mapp a generator to a generator, but say for example that the generators of G=[a] are a, a^3,a^5, a^7, and the generators of G'= are b, b^3, b^5,b^7, then to me it looks more logical to have these isomorphisms:
first [tex]\theta(a)=b^i; \theta(a^3)=b^i, \theta(a^5)=b^i;\theta(a^7)=b^i,i=1,3,5,7[/tex] , which means not 4, but 4! isomorphisms.

So, what am i missing here?

Once you map a generator somewhere you fix where every other element in the group goes. You can't map say a to b and a^3 to b^5 with one homomorphism because the first implies that a^3 must map to b^3.

well, yeah, i think i get it.

thnx

1. What is an isomorphism between cyclic groups?

An isomorphism between two cyclic groups is a bijective homomorphism, which means it is a one-to-one mapping that preserves the group structure and operation between the two groups.

2. How do you prove that two cyclic groups are isomorphic?

To prove that two cyclic groups are isomorphic, you need to show that there exists a bijective homomorphism between them. This can be done by defining a mapping between the two groups and showing that it is both one-to-one and preserves the group operation.

3. What is the significance of isomorphisms between cyclic groups?

Isomorphisms between cyclic groups are important because they allow us to study different groups that have similar structures. By understanding the isomorphisms between these groups, we can apply the knowledge gained in one group to another.

4. How can isomorphisms between cyclic groups be used in real-world applications?

Isomorphisms between cyclic groups have many applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other areas of mathematics and computer science. For example, they can be used in error-correcting codes and encryption algorithms.

5. Can all cyclic groups be isomorphic to each other?

No, not all cyclic groups are isomorphic to each other. The isomorphism between two cyclic groups depends on the order of the group and the elements within the group. Groups with different orders or elements cannot be isomorphic.