Integration that leads to a inverse trig identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving the integration of (x-2)(1/2)/(x+2). The solution is 2(x-2).5 - 4tan-1((x-2).5/2) + C, which is obtained by using the substitution u2 = x-2 and u = (x-2).5. However, the conversation also mentions an alternative method using the substitution u2 = 4z2 and u = 2z, which ultimately leads to the same answer. The use of different variables for the substitution is to avoid mistakes and confusion in the integration process.
Minutemade
Ok, so a teacher showed an example in class awhile back. So I am going over my notes right now, and I don't understand a certain part of the problem.

Also I am new to the forums and its my first time posting here, so please push me in the right direction if i make a mistake.

integration of (x-2)(1/2)/(x+2)

the solution is: 2(x-2).5 - 4tan-1((x-2).5/2) + C

Basically what i tried doing, is:

u2 = x-2
u = (x-2).5
2u du = dx

which after a few steps leads me to:

2u - 8(integration of (u2 +4)-1)

After this i stop understanding the problem a little...
From here i sub the root x-2 back in as u and u2 as x-2, which gives me:

2(x-2).5 - 8ln|x+2| which is wrong i think...

The way the example continues is as such:
u2 = 4z2
u = 2z
du = 2 dz

2u - ((8)(2)/4) integration of dz/ (z2 +1)

which gives the answer given above...

Basically i don't understand why we want to sub in another letter for u2, and why i can't get the same answer when i sub in the (x-2).5 earlier.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Minutemade! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Minutemade said:
2u - 8(integration of (u2 +4)-1)

After this i stop understanding the problem a little...
From here i sub the root x-2 back in as u and u2 as x-2, which gives me:

2(x-2).5 - 8ln|x+2| which is wrong i think...

ah … you forgot to change the du as well. :wink:
Basically i don't understand why we want to sub in another letter for u2

You don't really need to …

most people wouldn't …

but it does stop you making a mistake if you can't remember the general formula! :smile:

1. What is integration that leads to an inverse trig identity?

Integration that leads to an inverse trig identity is a method for finding the inverse trigonometric identities by using integration techniques. It involves solving integrals that result in inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent.

2. How is integration used to find inverse trig identities?

Integration is used to find inverse trig identities by evaluating integrals that result in inverse trigonometric functions. These integrals can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities.

3. What are the benefits of using integration to find inverse trig identities?

Using integration to find inverse trig identities allows for a more systematic approach compared to using trigonometric identities alone. It also provides a way to solve for more complex inverse trig identities that may not be readily apparent using traditional methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using integration for inverse trig identities?

One limitation of using integration for inverse trig identities is that it may not always be possible to find an exact solution. In some cases, the integral may be unsolvable or result in a complex expression that cannot be simplified.

5. How can I practice using integration to find inverse trig identities?

You can practice using integration to find inverse trig identities by working through examples and exercises in a calculus textbook or online resources. It is also helpful to review the basic integration techniques and trigonometric identities before attempting more complex problems.