Anyone knows a good website providing low price flights?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, you should look at flying into any European hub and taking the train or a LCC like EasyJet to Paris.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi,
I'm currently in Argentina and want to travel to Paris. I'd tend to think that because of the economic crisis we are facing nowadays and petroleum low prices, flights would be much less expensive than they used to be.
But surprisingly I've searched on several websites and the cheapest flight I could find is about 1400 euros. When I came here I paid 1200 euros and it was in 2006.
If anybody knows a good website providing cheap flights, please let me know. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
priceline.com

Cyrus said:
priceline.com

However:

Sorry! Currently, all tickets purchased from Priceline.com require a US departure airport.

perhaps http://www.bestfares.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually you would be surprised. Many times websites like orbitz, priceline, expedia, etc. are NOT cheaper than if you go directly to the airline websites. All those websites have to make their money somehow, and they make their money by tacking on a little bit more cost to the price of a ticket.

Travel agents are able to book flights and hotels at significantly lower prices than many websites.

Thanks for all the advices.
Too bad for priceline.com. bestfares.com gives me prices a bit under 1400 euros.
Ok, next Monday I'll ask in agencies. For now I'll continue my research on the Internet, specially in airline websites as suggested gravenewworld.

when are you trying to leave?

gravenewworld said:
when are you trying to leave?
Around the 4th of January. (I don't have any problem if it's a bit later).
Thinking of coming back around the 4th of February.

fluidistic said:
Around the 4th of January. (I don't have any problem if it's a bit later).
Thinking of coming back around the 4th of February.

No wonder it is so expensive. If you are flying because of a non emergency reason, you need to book your flights at least 3 months in advance. I always book mine 6 to 10 months in advance.

If you are flying because of a family emergency, I believe airlines will work with you on flights and prices (bereavement fares). You need to call them up.

fluidistic said:
Hi, I'd tend to think that because of the economic crisis we are facing nowadays and petroleum low prices, flights would be much less expensive than they used to be.

I'm afraid not. Airlines have cut capacity in response, rather than to let prices fall.

Also, there are windows at which prices rise: 3 months has been mentioned, but 3 weeks and 1 week are also typical windows. Your departure date is less than 3 weeks away, so it's pushing you into a higher fare basis.

My advice is to look at flying into any European hub and the to take the train or a LCC like EasyJet to Paris. One of the European hubs is bound to be cheapest, and odds are it's not Paris. I'd also look at odd routings - it may be cheaper to fly via South Africa or Canada.

gravenewworld said:
No wonder it is so expensive. If you are flying because of a non emergency reason, you need to book your flights at least 3 months in advance. I always book mine 6 to 10 months in advance.

If you are flying because of a family emergency, I believe airlines will work with you on flights and prices (bereavement fares). You need to call them up.
Yes I know I should have bought my trip long ago. The problem was that I was uncertain on how would go my final exams. It's not a family emergency but almost : I live here since July of 2006 and never came back to see my mother and sister. I've another final exam coming up in late February. So right now I've a about 2 months of real vacations. The perfect moment to visit my family. If you have the patience to explain what you said in simpler words I'd be glad.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid not. Airlines have cut capacity in response, rather than to let prices fall.

Also, there are windows at which prices rise: 3 months has been mentioned, but 3 weeks and 1 week are also typical windows. Your departure date is less than 3 weeks away, so it's pushing you into a higher fare basis.
That's sad for me. But I guess otherwise all the companies would be in bankrupt.

Vanadium 50 said:
My advice is to look at flying into any European hub and the to take the train or a LCC like EasyJet to Paris. One of the European hubs is bound to be cheapest, and odds are it's not Paris. I'd also look at odd routings - it may be cheaper to fly via South Africa or Canada.
I don't understand well what you're saying. Do you mean that making a stopover Canada or South Africa can be cheapest? If yes then I could check it out. My father lives in Canada, maybe I could see him a few hours. I guess I'm dreaming a bit here. :smile:

Right. I'm suggesting that EZE-IAD-CDG (for example) may be cheaper than something more direct like EZE-FRA-CDG.

Vanadium 50 said:
Right. I'm suggesting that EZE-IAD-CDG (for example) may be cheaper than something more direct like EZE-FRA-CDG.

Ok I understand.
Well the prices I get by searching on the Internet are for stopover flights. There's generally a stopover in Rome or Madrid.

fluidistic said:
I don't understand well what you're saying. Do you mean that making a stopover Canada or South Africa can be cheapest?
Yes - there isn't much demand for Argentina - Europe.
Generally you do better on a route where there is a lot of traffic ( NewYork->London)
or where there are cultural reasons that a flag carrier might be flying a subsidised route, eg. Air France to French colonies .
Generaly London/Amsterdam are the cheapest places in Europe to fly to, unfortunately there aren't many places in S America with enough traffic to make the route cheap.
The cheapest way might be to Mexico, then the US, then Londn/Amsterdam, there are a lot of cheap winter flights Mexico->US/Canada and US/Canada->London is popular and so cheap.

Is there a branch of STA ( the student travel company) near you? They are very good at finding cheap routes if you are flexible.

Is there a branch of STA ( the student travel company) near you? They are very good at finding cheap routes if you are flexible.
I'm afraid I think there isn't.
I've found a price under 1300 euros with a stopover in Madrid (about 10 hours). I'll probably take it if I don't find anything better in airlines companies in my city next Monday.
I'll be posting here for anything new. Thank you all.
EDIT: I just found prices under 1100 euros on bravofly.fr.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Actually you would be surprised. Many times websites like orbitz, priceline, expedia, etc. are NOT cheaper than if you go directly to the airline websites. All those websites have to make their money somehow, and they make their money by tacking on a little bit more cost to the price of a ticket.

Travel agents are able to book flights and hotels at significantly lower prices than many websites.

fluidistic said:
Thanks for all the advices.
Too bad for priceline.com. bestfares.com gives me prices a bit under 1400 euros.
Ok, next Monday I'll ask in agencies. For now I'll continue my research on the Internet, specially in airline websites as suggested gravenewworld.

A combination works well. Searching every airline is pretty time consuming. Using websites like orbitz, priceline, etc finds a low fair. Purchasing a ticket for that flight directly from the airline gets you an even slightly cheaper fare.

Purchasing directly from the airline also has some minor advantages in the event the flight is canceled or you have to change your reservations.

1. What are some factors to consider when searching for a website with low price flights?

When searching for a website with low price flights, it is important to consider factors such as the time of year, destination, travel dates, and airline preferences. Additionally, be sure to compare prices across multiple websites to ensure you are getting the best deal.

2. How can I ensure that the website I am using is reputable and trustworthy?

To ensure the website you are using is reputable and trustworthy, look for reviews and ratings from other users, check for any certifications or accreditations from recognized organizations, and pay attention to the website's security measures, such as secure payment options.

3. Are there any hidden fees or charges I should be aware of when booking through a low price flight website?

Some low price flight websites may have hidden fees or charges, such as baggage fees or additional charges for seat selection. Be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully and factor in any additional costs before booking.

4. Can I make changes or cancel my flight if I book through a low price flight website?

This depends on the specific website and airline policies. Some low price flight websites may offer the option to make changes or cancel your flight, but there may be fees associated with these changes. Be sure to read the terms and conditions before booking.

5. Are there any benefits to booking through a low price flight website compared to directly through the airline?

Booking through a low price flight website can often save you money, as they may offer exclusive deals and discounts. Additionally, some websites may offer additional services such as hotel or car rental bookings, making it a convenient one-stop-shop for all your travel needs.