Creating a Forum for My Work: VBulletin & Bandwidth Considerations

• Thread starter montoyas7940
  • Start date
In summary, The speaker is interested in creating a forum for their workplace and wants to use vbulletin, a commercial software package that costs $200. They wonder if other forum software has been tried and if it is hosted on a commercial server. They also question how much bandwidth is typically used for the forum and if it could be supported with a residential cable connection. The speaker mentions that there are free forum software options available, such as phpBB for $5-10/month. They also mention that PF volume may exceed the capacity of a domestic connection and extra work may be needed to set up a DNS name for the forum.
montoyas7940
I am interested in creating a forum for people at my work. My intent is for it to be used as a clearing house for information during these turbulent times in the auto industry.

I am not sure these questions belong here and I apologize if they do not.

I know that this forum uses vbulletin. It is a commercial software package only available for purchase, correct?

Has the forum always used vbulletin or have others been tried?

It it hosted on a commercial server?

I understand that PF volume is unique but how much bandwidth is typically used? Could it be supported with a residential cable connection?

Physics news on Phys.org
vbulletin (www.vbulletin.com) is around $200
There are a lot of free forum software packages. phpBB is probably the most common just because php is well known and lots of companies host it. Hosted php sites are only around $5-10/month

I'm guessing PF would max out a domestic connection!
Some companies block incoming http to a domestic connection and you normally have a dynamic IP address so you would have to do some extra work to point a DNS name at it.

What is VBulletin and how does it work?

VBulletin is a commercial forum software that allows users to create and manage online forums. It provides a user-friendly interface for creating and customizing forums, as well as managing user accounts and moderating discussions.

How much bandwidth does a VBulletin forum typically use?

The amount of bandwidth a VBulletin forum uses depends on the number of users, the amount of content being shared, and the size of the files being uploaded. On average, a medium-sized forum with around 500 active users can use anywhere from 50-100 GB of bandwidth per month.

What factors should I consider when choosing a hosting plan for my VBulletin forum?

When choosing a hosting plan for your VBulletin forum, you should consider the amount of storage and bandwidth that the plan offers, the server's processing power and memory, and the level of technical support provided. It's also important to make sure that the hosting plan is compatible with VBulletin's system requirements.

How can I optimize the bandwidth usage of my VBulletin forum?

To optimize the bandwidth usage of your VBulletin forum, you can enable caching, compress images and other files, and limit the size of user uploads. You can also optimize your forum's code and database to reduce the amount of data that needs to be transferred.

Can I use a content delivery network (CDN) with VBulletin to reduce bandwidth usage?

Yes, it is possible to use a CDN with VBulletin to reduce bandwidth usage. A CDN stores your forum's static content (such as images and CSS files) on servers located around the world, which can help improve loading times and reduce the amount of data that needs to be transferred from your main server.