Energy becoming mass? Wilczek question

• Thread starter Quantum_Grid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Mass
In summary, F. Wilczek's book "The Lightness of Being" discusses his theory on the origin of mass, specifically the effect of color charge carried by quarks and how it is nullified by an antiquark of opposite charge nearby. However, there is still some residual energy left over, which can be calculated using the equation m=E/c2 to find the mass of a proton. According to special relativity, mass and energy are essentially the same thing, with the conversion factor of c2 being used in SI units. Popular science books may not be the best resource for learning physics.
Quantum_Grid
In F. Wilczeks book, The Lightness of Being he describes his theory on the origin of mass. He explains, in much more detail, about how color charge carried by quarks disturbs gluon fields which increase with the distance from the quark. Then he explains that this energy cost is nullified by an antiquark of the opposite charge nearby. This doesn't cancel it completely because of some [pesky!] Rules of Quantum Mechanics. He says, basically, that there is some residual energy left over after this "canceling-out" and using the equation m=E/c2, we find the mass of a proton.

I'm sure I missed something; all I see he did was explain where some excess energy has come from, when/where does that energy become mass?

I hope I explained everything clearly enough to make sense!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum_Grid said:
...I'm sure I missed something; all I see he did was explain where some excess energy has come from, when/where does that energy become mass?...

According to special relativity, mass and energy are pretty much the "same thing". You may have seen [tex]E=mc^2[/tex]; [tex]c^2[/tex] is just a unit conversion factor that can be set to 1 to give [tex]E=m[/tex].

we had a discussion about mass <-> energy in a thread earlier this week, in this sub.forum I think... please have a look around =)

I don't think popular science books is good for learning physics btw, but as dashaich said, it is the same things, but in SI units we have this conversion factor of c^2

1. What is the concept of "Energy becoming mass" according to Wilczek?

The concept of "Energy becoming mass" according to Nobel laureate physicist Frank Wilczek is based on the equation E=mc^2, which states that energy and mass are interchangeable. This means that under certain conditions, energy can transform into mass and vice versa.

2. How does this concept relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other. Therefore, Wilczek's concept of "Energy becoming mass" is in line with Einstein's theory, as it explains how energy can transform into mass.

3. What is the significance of "Energy becoming mass" in the field of physics?

This concept is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of the universe and how energy and mass are connected. It also provides a framework for studying and predicting the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. Can energy truly become mass, or is it just a theoretical concept?

There is ample evidence to support the idea that energy can indeed transform into mass. This has been demonstrated in experiments involving particle accelerators, where high-energy collisions can produce new particles with mass. Therefore, "Energy becoming mass" is not just a theoretical concept, but a phenomenon that has been observed in nature.

5. How does this concept impact our understanding of the origins of the universe?

Wilczek's concept of "Energy becoming mass" is crucial in understanding the early moments of the universe. According to the Big Bang theory, the universe began as an incredibly dense and hot point of energy, which then expanded and cooled, eventually giving rise to the particles and structures we see today. This process of energy transforming into mass played a crucial role in the formation of the universe as we know it.