Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence

• Thread starter tormund
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Judge
In summary, the criminal claimed to be innocent, and the judge decided to let him go free, as he said two words.
tormund
I got a good one for y'all

A criminal was to be sentenced, and the judge told him, "You may make a statement. If it is true, I'll sentence you to four years in prison. If it is false, I'll sentence you to six years in prison." After the man made his statement, the judge decided to let him go free. What did the man say?

good luck:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am telling a lie. ?

You will sentence me to six years in prison.

There is no God.

"I'm innocent"?

"I'm the Bailiff"?

TheStatutoryApe said:
"I'm innocent"?

No one, save a new-born, is innocent. Just pointing that out haha, that doesn't discredit your answer.

ƒ(x) said:
You will sentence me to six years in prison.

Then the judge turned around and sentenced him to ten.

Vanadium 50 said:
Then the judge turned around and sentenced him to ten.
Then the criminal's statement was false, and the judge didn't keep his word as to what he would do in that case.

jimmysnyder said:
the judge didn't keep his word as to what he would do in that case.

Yup. And now the criminal has ten years to stew on it. :devil:

"Mom said to take off that silly robe and quit clowning around, Billy-Bob."

When making an appearance in criminal court, learning how to speak to the judge is essential to getting what you want or what you need. Following these steps could be the difference between keeping yourself in or out of custody.
Legal Advice Forum

The poster above me is spammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"Stick 'em up"

jimmysnyder said:
the judge didn't keep his word
I think what Vanadium is saying is that, given the above sentence (which I believe is what was expected), the judge can not keep his word in any case. So whether he let's the prisoner go or sentence him to 10 years, what difference does it make with regards to what the judge keeping his word ?

the judge gives a 4 yr sentence, and a 6 yr sentence (to serve consecutively ?) it happens in real life, and no contradictions

He said two words:

Chuck Norris

I have arranged for your wife to get the name of your "secretary" and an envelope of photographs of you and her "on the job" in the case of my incarceration.

i agree with f(x)'s answer...because if the criminal said "You will sentence me to six years in prison." and it is true, then the judge can't sentence the criminal to four years to prison because the criminal's statement is already true. while if the judge said that the criminal's statement is false, the judge will sentence him to six years, which will actually make the criminal's statement true...out of confusion the criminal was set free...

The judge never said what would occur if the criminal's statement has no truth value. Probably executes him or something

1. What is a "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence"?

A "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence" is a statement made by a person who has been charged with a crime in order to try and reduce or avoid their prison sentence. This statement is typically made to the court or to the prosecution in hopes of receiving a more lenient sentence.

2. Why would someone make a "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence"?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may choose to make a "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence." Some common reasons include expressing remorse for their actions, providing new information or evidence that may help their case, or making a plea for a reduced sentence based on personal circumstances.

3. Are "Criminal's Statements to Avoid Prison Sentence" always effective?

No, "Criminal's Statements to Avoid Prison Sentence" are not always effective. The success of these statements depends on a variety of factors, including the severity of the crime, the strength of the evidence against the defendant, and the judge's discretion. Additionally, if the defendant's statement is found to be insincere or lacking in credibility, it may actually harm their case and result in a harsher sentence.

4. Can a "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence" be used in all types of criminal cases?

Yes, a "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence" can be used in all types of criminal cases. However, the effectiveness of these statements may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case. For example, in cases where the crime is particularly heinous or the defendant has a history of repeat offenses, a statement may not have as much impact on the sentencing decision.

5. Can a "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence" be used in place of a trial?

No, a "Criminal's Statement to Avoid Prison Sentence" cannot be used in place of a trial. In order for a statement to potentially have an impact on a sentence, the defendant must first be found guilty or plead guilty in a trial. A statement may then be presented during the sentencing phase as a way for the defendant to express their remorse or provide mitigating factors for consideration.