A Definite integral where solution. involves infinity - infinity

In summary: Thank you for helping to solve the problem.In summary, Mark44 and Dick attempted to solve the integral equation x^(1/2) + 1/(x^(1/2)) = 0, but were unable to do so using standard algebraic methods. They were then able to find an alternate solution using partial fractions decomposition.
Physics news on Phys.org
After using partial fractions decomposition, I get this:
[tex]
\int_0^B \frac{-1/2}{x + 1} + (1/2)\frac{x + 1}{x^2 + 1}dx
[/tex]

I'm not sure this is what you got. After integrating, the antiderivative will be in terms of B. Take the limit of this expression as B approaches infinity.

Combine the parts that go to infinity into one term. ln((x+1)^(1/2)/(x^2+1)^(1/4)). You want to figure out the limit of that as x->infinity. Can you see where to go from there?

Thank you very much Mark44 and Dick.
I got the same integral as Mark44.
I understand what Dick is saying but I'm not allowed to use L hospital's rule at school. I can't figure out any other way.
Is there an alternate way to evaluate the above integral?

cpashok said:
Thank you very much Mark44 and Dick.
I got the same integral as Mark44.
I understand what Dick is saying but I'm not allowed to use L hospital's rule at school. I can't figure out any other way.
Is there an alternate way to evaluate the above integral?

Factor an x^(1/2) out of the numerator and denominator of (x+1)^(1/2)/(x^2+1)^(1/4).

Correct me if i am wrong.
ln [x^(1/2) { 1+ 1/ x^(1/2) } / x^(1/2) { 1+ 1/ x^(1/2) }]

I would get ln 1.

which is equal to zero and hence the required answer.
Thanks a lot Mark 44 and Dick.

The conclusion is right, but your algebra leaves a lot to be desired. If you mean
(x+1)^(1/2)=(x)^(1/2)*(1+1/x)^(1/2), that's ok. If you mean (x+1)^(1/2)=x^(1/2)+1/(x^(1/2)) or x^(1/2)+(1/x)^(1/2), both of those are wrong. And what happened with the 1/4 power in the denominator? Try to use enough parentheses to make it clear what you mean.

oops!
{x^(1/2){1+1/x}^(1/2)} / x ^(1/2){1+1/(x^2)}^(1/4) .
i got this in the notebook, forgot to use paranthesis and forgot to edit the second term that i copy pasted from the first.

cpashok said:
oops!
{x^(1/2){1+1/x}^(1/2)} / x ^(1/2){1+1/(x^2)}^(1/4) .
i got this in the notebook, forgot to use paranthesis and forgot to edit the second term that i copy pasted from the first.

Perfect.

What is a definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity?

A definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity is a type of integral where the upper and lower limits of integration result in an infinite value. This can happen when the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote at one or both of the limits, causing the integral to be undefined.

How do you solve a definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity?

The solution to a definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity can be found by using one of two methods: the first is to evaluate the integral as if it were a Cauchy principal value, which involves taking the limit as the upper and lower limits approach the point of discontinuity. The second method is to use a change of variables to transform the integral into one that is well-defined.

What are some common functions that result in a definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity?

Functions that have vertical asymptotes at the limits of integration, such as 1/x or tan(x), often result in a definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity. Other functions, such as e^x or ln(x), may also result in this type of integral if the limits are chosen in a way that causes the function to become undefined.

Why is a definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity important?

A definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity is important because it highlights the limitations of the definite integral as a tool for finding the area under a curve. It also allows for the study of functions that have vertical asymptotes, which are commonly encountered in real-world applications.

What are some real-world applications of a definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity?

A definite integral where the solution involves infinity - infinity can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force on an object that moves along a path with a vertical asymptote. In economics, it can be used to model supply and demand curves that have vertical asymptotes at certain prices.