How can I draw a helical coil in Maxwell 3D v11 without getting an error?

In summary, a user is having trouble drawing a helical coil in Maxwell 3D v11 using the 'CreateHelix' function. They have tried using different shapes but keep getting an error. Another user suggests avoiding self-intersection by moving the 2D cross section to a different point before generating the helix. They also provide step-by-step instructions, such as creating a circle with a specific radius and moving it to a certain point before using the 'CreateHelix' function.
shasi
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new user to both PF & Maxwell 3D. I've been having a lot of problems trying to draw a helical coil in Maxwell 3D v11.

There is a 'CreateHelix' function in Maxwell 3D & when I use this function (which has to be drawn on a 2D object), I get this error: [error] Body could not be created for part because of invalid parameters to CreateHelix operation. (3:30 PM Apr 03, 2009)

I've tried it with different shapes to draw the helix upon, but it still keeps giving me the error.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

-Shasi

Engineering news on Phys.org
Make sure that the 2D cross section does not intersect the helix when it is swept across the spiral. For example if the 2D object is a circlular disk centered at the origin(0,0,0) and you want to sweep it across a spiral along the Y-direction you get self-intersection. You must move the disk to the point(r,0,0) before generating the helix where r is the radius of the helix.

kevin1 said:
Make sure that the 2D cross section does not intersect the helix when it is swept across the spiral. For example if the 2D object is a circlular disk centered at the origin(0,0,0) and you want to sweep it across a spiral along the Y-direction you get self-intersection. You must move the disk to the point(r,0,0) before generating the helix where r is the radius of the helix.

I tried to draw the helix like this:

Draw a circle with center (0,0,0) and radius of 6mm on the XY plane.
Next, I selected the helix & tried to draw it with center (0,0,0) and wanted to draw it through the Z axis with pitch 1mm & 3 turns. But I still get the same error as I did before.
Is there any step-by-step instructions that I can follow?

Thanks,
Shasi

Shasi:

If you want to draw the helix around the Z-axis, the circle of radis 6mm must be either in the XZ plane or YZ plane. Remember that this circle will be swept along a spiral along the Z-axis. Next you have to move your circle to (r,0,0) if the circle is in the XZ plane or to ((0,r,0) if it is in the YZ plane where r is the radius of the helix. So try this:

1. Create a circle of radius 6mm in the XZ plane
2. Move the circle to the point (30,0,0) where 30 is the radius of your helix
3. Pick the Z-axis as axis of the the helix by specifying (0,0,0) as the starting point and (0,0,1) as the ending point for the axis of rorartion
4. Select the moved circle and in the DRaw menu click Helix
5. Enter the number of turns and the pitch

Hopefully, this should work.

1. What is Maxwell 3D?

Maxwell 3D is a computer software used for creating and simulating electromagnetic fields and circuits. It is commonly used in the field of electrical engineering and physics.

2. How do I draw a helix in Maxwell 3D?

To draw a helix in Maxwell 3D, first select the "Draw" tool from the toolbar. Then, click and drag your mouse to create a circular shape. Next, use the "Transform" tool to adjust the shape into a helix by dragging the points on the circle. Finally, use the "Extrude" tool to extend the helix in the desired direction.

3. Can I change the properties of the helix in Maxwell 3D?

Yes, you can change the properties of the helix in Maxwell 3D. By selecting the helix and clicking on the "Properties" tab, you can adjust parameters such as radius, pitch, and number of turns. You can also change the material properties of the helix, such as conductivity and permeability, by using the "Material Properties" tab.

4. How can I simulate the electromagnetic field of a helix in Maxwell 3D?

To simulate the electromagnetic field of a helix in Maxwell 3D, first create the helix and adjust its properties. Then, select the "Simulation" tab and choose the type of analysis you want to perform. You can also set up boundary conditions and other parameters for a more accurate simulation. Finally, click on "Run Simulation" to start the analysis.

5. Is Maxwell 3D suitable for beginners?

While Maxwell 3D may seem daunting for beginners, it offers a user-friendly interface and various tutorials and resources to help users get started. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of electromagnetic theory before using the software. Practice and experimentation with the different tools and features will also help in mastering Maxwell 3D.