Quantity referred to as 'self-capacitance

• Thread starter bbh2808
  • Start date
In summary, self-capacitance is the theoretical concept of the amount of charge necessary to generate a 1 Volt E-field between an arbitrary surface and a ground plane at infinity. It is different from mutual capacitance, which is the amount of charge between two conducting surfaces. Self-capacitance is usually measured by using the Earth as the other conductor and can also be observed in circuits using high frequency op amps and air-coil inductors. To measure the self-capacitance of a small length of wire, one can use a charge integrator amplifier and measure the charge on the wire. In coils, self-capacitance can cause a peak in impedance and can be reduced by adding space between winding turns.
bbh2808
Hi all!

I've got a question about the quantity referred to as 'self-capacitance'. From what I can gather, self-capacitance is the amount of charge necessary to generate a 1 Volt E-field between an arbitrary surface and a ground plane @ infinity. This doesn't make sense to me, but that's why I'm hoping someone here can help me understand it!

Typically when people talk about capacitance, it means 'mutual capacitance', the amount of charge @ the surface of the conductor/volt between two conducting surfaces, which makes a lot more sense to me...

How would one measure the 'self-capacitance' of a conductor of arbitrary geometry?

Engineering news on Phys.org

bbh2808 said:
Hi all!

I've got a question about the quantity referred to as 'self-capacitance'. From what I can gather, self-capacitance is the amount of charge necessary to generate a 1 Volt E-field between an arbitrary surface and a ground plane @ infinity. This doesn't make sense to me, but that's why I'm hoping someone here can help me understand it!

Typically when people talk about capacitance, it means 'mutual capacitance', the amount of charge @ the surface of the conductor/volt between two conducting surfaces, which makes a lot more sense to me...

How would one measure the 'self-capacitance' of a conductor of arbitrary geometry?

Actually you're right! Capacitance can exist only between two conductors. However, the concept of self-capacitance is purely theoretical, in that the other plate is considered to be Earth... as Earth is a very large conductor and hence is considered to be at zero potential w.r.t a charged conductor.

However, in pure theoretical sense the other plate is considered to be located at infinity, but that becomes quite an abstract assumption. Hence, Earth is considered as the other plate or conductor.

Regards,
Shahvir

If you use a 1-meg resistance in a real circuit, like in the feedback loop of a high frequency op amp, then the 1 meg resistor should be modeled in SPICE like two 500 k resistors in series, with a shunt 10 pF capacitor to ground in the middle. The shunt capacitance is called the self or distributed capacitance. If you use an air-coil inductance at a very high frequency, it will cross over from being inductive to being capacitive, due to internal turn-to-turn self capacitance.

Bob S said:
If you use a 1-meg resistance in a real circuit, like in the feedback loop of a high frequency op amp, then the 1 meg resistor should be modeled in SPICE like two 500 k resistors in series, with a shunt 10 pF capacitor to ground in the middle. The shunt capacitance is called the self or distributed capacitance. If you use an air-coil inductance at a very high frequency, it will cross over from being inductive to being capacitive, due to internal turn-to-turn self capacitance.

This is a good analogy :smile:

Ok, but I still have a problem!

How can I measure the self-capacitance of a small length of wire?

Suppose you have a foot of wire that has a distributed capacitance of 10 picoFarads to the surroundings. If you touch it with a 1000 volt DC source, you will charge the wire to 10 nanoCoulombs. Then if you touch the wire to a charge integrator amplifier you can measure the charge on the wire.

I attach a sketch of a charge integrator Linear Technology LTC 6084) or equiv. op amp with a 1 picoamp typ leakage current. The 10 nano Coulombs will flow onto the integrating amplifier therough the input resistor and give you 10 volts out (full scale). It will leak off at a 1 pA (1 picoCoulomb per second) rate. Use reset button to zero the capacitor through a 10 meg resistor. Change values of components as necessary.

Attachments

• Charge_integrator.jpg
    Charge_integrator.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 557

If you have a coil of wire and you measure the impedance of the coil, it should rise uniformly according to the formula for inductive reactance which is
XL = 2 pi F L

But when you do this there is always a peak in the impedance which then drops steadily as the frequency is increased.
This is due to the capacitance between the windings of the coil. It can be reduced by winding the coil with a space between the winding turns. Doing this raises the self resonant frequency of the coil at the expense of making the coil bigger for a given inductance.

This capacitance is the self capacitance of the coil.

1. What is self-capacitance?

Self-capacitance is a measure of the ability of an object to store electrical charge on its own, without the presence of any other conductors or materials. It is a property of an object that is determined by its shape, size, and material composition.

2. How is self-capacitance different from mutual capacitance?

Self-capacitance refers to the capacitance of an object to itself, while mutual capacitance is the capacitance between two objects that are close to each other. In other words, self-capacitance is the ability of an object to hold charge within itself, while mutual capacitance is the ability of two objects to share charge with each other.

3. What factors affect the self-capacitance of an object?

The self-capacitance of an object is affected by its size, shape, and material composition. Objects with larger surface areas and closer spacing between their conductive parts will generally have a higher self-capacitance. The type of material used also plays a role, as materials with higher dielectric constants have a higher self-capacitance.

4. How is self-capacitance measured?

Self-capacitance is typically measured using a capacitance meter. This involves connecting the object to be measured to the meter and then measuring the amount of electrical charge that it can hold. The capacitance is then calculated based on the measured charge and the voltage used.

5. What are some applications of self-capacitance?

Self-capacitance has various applications in the fields of electronics and electrical engineering. It is used in the design of capacitive touch screens, proximity sensors, and antennas. It is also important in the study of high-frequency circuits and in the design of capacitors for energy storage and power supply systems.