Question about primes and divisibility abstract algebra/number theory

In summary, the question is asking for the greatest integer that divides p^4-1 for every prime number p greater than 5. One approach is to compute this for different values of N and observe the pattern. The correct answer is 240, as 16 and 3 are both factors of p^4-1 for all primes p>5. Additionally, p^2 is either 1 or 4 mod 5, which means p^4-1 is divisible by 5. Therefore, the greatest integer that divides p^4-1 for all primes p greater than 5 is 240.
AxiomOfChoice
Can someone please tell me how to go about answering a question like this? I've been racking my brain for a long time and still don't have a clue...I guess because my background in algebra/number theory really isn't that strong.

"What is the greatest integer that divides [itex]p^4 - 1[/itex] for every prime number [itex]p[/itex] greater than 5?"

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems an obvious first thing to try:
Compute the greatest integer that divides [itex]p^4 - 1[/itex] for every prime number p in the range 5 < p < N​

where N is whatever number you like. I'd probably start with 10 and then increase it a few times until I had an idea what was going on.

AxiomOfChoice said:
What is the greatest integer that divides [itex]p^4 - 1[/itex] for every prime number [itex]p[/itex] greater than 5?"

Wouldn't it be [tex]p^4-1[/tex]? Maybe I'm not understanding the question.

Sorry; this is a multiple choice question off of an old Math Subject GRE exam. There are five answer choices:

(A) 12
(B) 30
(C) 48
(D) 120
(E) 240

This is what I have so far.

[tex]p^4-1= (p+1)(p-1)(p^2+1)[/tex]

p is odd so [tex]p = 1 \text{ or } 3 [/tex] (mod 4) so there are three 2's in (p+1) and (p-1) plus another in [tex](p^2+1)[/tex] so [tex]16|p^4-1[/tex]. Furthermore, 3 does not divide p (since p>5) so (p-1) or (p+1) does and so [tex]3|p^4-1[/tex]. Now it's between 240 and 48.

qntty said:
Wouldn't it be [tex]p^4-1[/tex]? Maybe I'm not understanding the question.

Yes, you are. The question is about a single number that divides [itex]p^4- 1[/itex] for all primes p> 5. It cannot depend on p.

Alright I found the the last factor.

1^2 = 1 mod 5
2^2 = 4
3^2 = 4
4^2 = 1

So [tex]p^2[/tex] = 1 or 4 mod 5

[tex](p^2)^2 = 1[/tex] mod 5

[tex]p^4-1 = 0[/tex] mod 5

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is divisible only by 1 and itself. In other words, it has exactly two factors.

2. What is the importance of prime numbers in abstract algebra/number theory?

Prime numbers play a crucial role in abstract algebra and number theory as they are the building blocks for all other positive integers. They also have important applications in cryptography and coding theory.

3. How can we determine if a given number is prime or not?

There are various methods to check if a number is prime or not. Some of the commonly used methods include trial division, Sieve of Eratosthenes, and the AKS primality test.

4. What is the connection between prime numbers and divisibility?

Prime numbers are closely related to divisibility as they are the only numbers that have exactly two divisors. This means that any non-prime number can be factored into its prime factors, making it easier to determine its divisibility.

5. Are there infinitely many prime numbers?

Yes, there are infinitely many prime numbers. This was proven by Euclid over 2000 years ago and is known as Euclid's theorem. There is no known largest prime number, and new ones are constantly being discovered.