What is the SI Unit of Volume and Why is it Important?

In summary, the aim of the SI system of units is to eliminate unnecessary units. This is why the litre is not needed when calculating volume, as it can be expressed as length cubed (m3). However, it is important to note that 1000 m3 is not the same as 1000x1000x1000 m, as the former is a thousand cubic meters and the latter is a billion cubic meters. This difference is important to understand when studying energy and torque in the future.
WannabChemist
"one of the aims of the SI system of units is to remove unnecessary units. Since volume is length x breadth x height, i.e length3(small 3, don't know how to type it though), there is no need for the litre and the SI unit of volume is the metre cubed (m3) which equal 1000 L"

I'm sure I'm missing something here...

What if I had the following specifications: length = 2km, Breadth =1m, Height = 2m.

This would not bring about the same result as 2000 x 2000 x 2000 which is presumably what length3 is.

I wish I had paid much more attention in math class... any help with this.

This is not homework, I'm currently studying Chemistry in my own time. I'm not enrolled anywhere so have no-one to ask for help. I jumped ahead a few chapters when I first started, but now I finding I need to know the math...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I think you're essentially asking this:

Is 1000 m^3 the same as 1000x1000x1000 m?

The answer to that is, no it's not. 1000 m^3 is a thousand cubic meters, which if you'd put into a cube would have a side of 10m (the cubic root of 1000 is 10: 10x10x10=1000)

1000m x 1000m x 1000m is a thousand meters, cubed, which is a billion cubic-meters.

Wait until you study energy (Newton-meters) and torque (meter-Newtons).

Bob S said:
Wait until you study energy (Newton-meters) and torque (meter-Newtons).

I don't mean to nit-pick but Newton-meters is work, not energy.

i don't mean to nit pick but I would say Newton metRE.. :smile:

1. What is the periodic table and why is it important?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of the chemical elements based on their atomic structure. It is important because it allows us to organize and understand the properties and relationships between different elements, which is essential in studying and predicting chemical reactions.

2. What is a chemical bond?

A chemical bond is an attraction between two or more atoms that holds them together in a molecule. This bond is formed by the sharing or transfer of electrons between atoms, and it determines the physical and chemical properties of a substance.

3. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

Acids are substances that can donate protons (H+) while bases are substances that can accept protons. Acids typically have a sour taste and can corrode metals, while bases have a bitter taste and feel slippery. In terms of pH, acids have a pH less than 7 while bases have a pH greater than 7.

4. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms bonded together. Elements cannot be broken down into simpler substances, while compounds can be broken down into their constituent elements through chemical reactions.

5. How are chemical reactions described and balanced?

Chemical reactions are described using chemical equations, which show the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side, separated by an arrow. To balance a chemical equation, the number of each type of atom on the reactant side must equal the number on the product side. This is done by adjusting the coefficients in front of each reactant or product.