Should It Be In Series or Parallel?

In summary: An accumulator is an apparatus by means of which energy can be stored, such as a rechargeable battery or a hydraulic accumulator. Such devices may be electrical, fluidic or mechanical and are sometimes used to convert a small continuous power source into a short surge of energy or vice versa. Other examples of accumulators include capacitors, compulsators, steam accumulator, wave energy machines, pumped-storage hydroelectric plants.
Procrastinate
The accumulator of a car produces 12 V. If the car lights at the sides and rear are
each rated for 12 V, but the two interior lights are only rated at 6 V, how should
the lights be connected — in series or in parallel?

The answer is series but I said parallel. However, if you put them in series wouldn't the lights break because they are only rated at 6V?

Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
The accumulator of a car produces 12 V. If the car lights at the sides and rear are
each rated for 12 V, but the two interior lights are only rated at 6 V, how should
the lights be connected — in series or in parallel?

The answer is series but I said parallel. However, if you put them in series wouldn't the lights break because they are only rated at 6V?

If you connect them in parallel, then each light will get a pd of 12V, so then they would burn out or what have you.

But if you have them in series, the 12V would be split into 6V for one light and 6V for the other light. So by Kirchoff's 2nd law, the sum of the emfs (12V battery) is equal to the sum of the pds (6V light & 6V light)

Wow, that's different. Where is a battery called an accumulator?

They should be in series. A quick check would be the voltage divider rule:

V(out) = V(in)*[ R1 / (R1 + R2) ]

Phrak said:
Wow, that's different. Where is a battery called an accumulator?

I didn't know what an accumulator was, so I wiki'd it...and well this is what it said

wikipedia said:
An accumulator is an apparatus by means of which energy can be stored, such as a rechargeable battery or a hydraulic accumulator. Such devices may be electrical, fluidic or mechanical and are sometimes used to convert a small continuous power source into a short surge of energy or vice versa. Other examples of accumulators include capacitors, compulsators, steam accumulator, wave energy machines, pumped-storage hydroelectric plants.

In general usage in an electrical context the word accumulator would normally mean a lead-acid battery.

rock.freak667 said:
I didn't know what an accumulator was, so I wiki'd it...and well this is what it said

Yeah. Apparenty the Brits use it.

Im a brit, and an electrical engineer at that and to be honest its not a word i come across too often maybe deep down in an old textbook.

1. Should I connect my batteries in series or parallel?

The answer depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to increase the voltage, then connecting the batteries in series is the way to go. If you want to increase the current, then connecting them in parallel is the better option.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel connections?

In a series connection, the components are connected in a single loop, meaning that the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel connection, the components are connected in separate branches, meaning that the current is divided among the branches.

3. Which type of connection is better for safety?

Both series and parallel connections have their own safety considerations. In a series connection, if one component fails, the entire circuit will be affected. In a parallel connection, if one component fails, the other components will still function. However, in a parallel connection, there is a higher risk of short circuits and overloading if the components are not properly matched.

4. Can I mix series and parallel connections?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel connections in a circuit. This is commonly seen in larger electrical systems where groups of components are connected in parallel and then those groups are connected in series.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the reciprocal formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...