with Angular Momentum/Angular Speed

In summary, a person exerts a tangential force of 36.1 N on the rim of a disk-shaped merry-go-round of radius 2.74 m and mass 167 kg. Using the equation L=Iw and knowing that I=1/2mr^2, the angular speed of the merry-go-round can be found by using the equation w = L/I. After rotating the merry-go-round through an angle of 60.0°, the angular speed is calculated to be 0.577 rad/s. This can also be confirmed by using the equation \omega^2 = \omega_0^2 + 2\alpha\theta.
needhelp
A person exerts a tangential force of 36.1 N on the rim of a disk-shaped merry-go-round of radius 2.74 m and mass 167 kg. If the merry-go-round starts at rest, what is its angular speed after the person has rotated it through an angle of 60.0°?

=> L=Iw => w = L/I where I=1/2mr^2
I just don't know where to plug in the tangential force and the angle.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
needhelp said:
A person exerts a tangential force of 36.1 N on the rim of a disk-shaped merry-go-round of radius 2.74 m and mass 167 kg. If the merry-go-round starts at rest, what is its angular speed after the person has rotated it through an angle of 60.0°?

=> L=Iw => w = L/I where I=1/2mr^2
I just don't know where to plug in the tangential force and the angle.
Please help!
Let F be the tangential force, R the radius of the merry-go-round and M its mass. The torque is [itex]\tau = FR = I\alpha[/itex]. You know F, R and I so you can solve for [itex]\alpha[/itex] and then use that to find the angular velocity. Pretty straight forward. Remember, physics is not about plugging numbers and spitting answers.

Thank you so very much for your prompt reply.

theta =1 rad = 57.3degree, 60degree=1.05 rad

I calculated
a)alpha = T/I = 98.9/627 = 0.158 rad/s
b)theta = 1/2 (alpha) t^2 => t = sqrt(2 * 1.05 / 0.158) = 3.65s
c)w = (alpha) t = 0.158 rad/s^2 * 3.65 s = 0.577 rad/s

Please let me know if my figures are correct. Again, thank you.

Instead of finding t, you could just use [itex]\omega^2 = \omega_0^2 + 2\alpha\theta[/itex]. You can check your answer doing it this way.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular Momentum is a measure of the rotation of an object around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of the rotation.

2. How is Angular Momentum related to Angular Speed?

Angular Speed is the rate of change of the angular position of an object. Angular Momentum is directly proportional to Angular Speed, as an object rotating at a higher speed will have a greater angular momentum.

3. What is the difference between Angular Momentum and Linear Momentum?

Angular Momentum is a measure of rotation, while Linear Momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line. Angular Momentum takes into account the object's distance from the point of rotation, while Linear Momentum does not.

4. How is Angular Momentum conserved?

Angular Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant as long as no external torque is applied to the system. This is known as the Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum.

5. What are some real-life examples of Angular Momentum?

Some examples of Angular Momentum in everyday life include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the motion of a spinning figure skater. It is also involved in the rotation of planets and stars in the universe.