Defining Closed-Form Expressions: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a mathematical expression consisting of a limited number of derivatives of functions can be considered a closed-form expression. It is mentioned that there is no agreed upon definition of "closed form" and the speaker has unique functions with varying parameters. They express the need to determine if this can be considered closed form for their thesis.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I have a mathematical expression that consists of a limited number of derivatives of some functions, and these derivatives exist and well defined. Can we call this expression a closed-form expression?

Regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Probably not.
Unless there is given a special definition of "closed form" .

g_edgar said:
Probably not.
Unless there is given a special definition of "closed form" .

The problem is: there is no agreement about the exact definition of the well known functions in the definition of the closed-form expression. I have special functions whose derivative remains the same but with different parameters. I don't know, is this closed form? I have to know to write it down in my thesis.

Regards

What is a Closed-Form Expression?

A closed-form expression is a mathematical expression that can be evaluated in a finite number of operations and can be written in terms of basic arithmetic operations, constants, and elementary functions. It is also known as an explicit expression or an exact solution.

How is a Closed-Form Expression different from other mathematical expressions?

Unlike other mathematical expressions, a closed-form expression does not involve iterative or recursive operations. It can be written in a compact and explicit form without requiring any additional computations.

What are some examples of Closed-Form Expressions?

Examples of closed-form expressions include polynomial expressions (such as x^2 + 3x + 5), trigonometric expressions (such as sin(x) + cos(x)), and exponential expressions (such as e^x + 2).

Why are Closed-Form Expressions useful?

Closed-form expressions are useful because they provide an exact and concise representation of a mathematical relationship, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. They are also computationally efficient and can be easily integrated into other mathematical models or algorithms.

Can all mathematical expressions be written in Closed-Form?

No, not all mathematical expressions can be written in closed-form. In some cases, a closed-form expression may not exist, or it may be too complex to be written in a compact and explicit form. In such cases, numerical approximations or other methods may be used.