Find volume within sphere outside of Cylinder

In summary, the task was to find the volume of a solid within a given sphere, above the xy plane, and outside a given cone. The equations for spherical and cylindrical systems were provided and the solution was attempted using both. The final solution involved reworking the bounds for r in terms of z and determining the maximum values for both r and z. The final volume was found to be 127.137105725.
mknut389

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid that lies within the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16, above the xy plane, and outside the cone z = 3 [tex]\sqrt{{x^2+y^2}}[/tex].

Homework Equations

spherical system:
x=[tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\phi[/tex]
y=[tex]\rho[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\phi[/tex]
z=[tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\phi[/tex]

cylindrical system
[tex]x^2+y^2=r^2[/tex]
z=z

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this using both the spherical and cylindrical systems and arrived at the same answer, cylindrical is easiest here, so Ill use it to demonstrate what I have done

[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=16[/tex]
[tex]r^2+z^2=16[/tex]
z=[tex]\sqrt{{16-r^2}}[/tex]

z = 3 [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
z=3[tex]\sqrt{r^2}[/tex]
z=3r

when z=0
0=[tex]\sqrt{16+r^2}[/tex]
r=4
0=3r
r=0

Therefore the bounds are
z: [tex]\left[3r,\sqrt{16-r^2}\right][/tex]
r:[tex]\left[0,4\right][/tex]
[tex]\theta[/tex]: [tex]\left[0,2\pi\right][/tex]

Which gives me
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{4}\int_{3r}^{\sqrt{16-r^2}}r dzdrd\theta[/tex]

After going through the steps i get
[tex]-(256\pi)/3[/tex]

First off it is negative, so that tells me I am completely off base here, but when doing the same problem with spherical coordinates, I get [tex](256\pi)/3[/tex]. Since this answer is wrong, I am at a loss of what I should be doing. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it:

First the bounds had to be reworked for r in terms of Z
r: [tex]\left[z/3,\sqrt{16-z^2}\right][/tex]

Then by solving the two equations in terms of Z and setting them equal to each other, I determined the maximum value for r
[tex]\sqrt{16-r^2}=3r[/tex]
[tex]r=(2*\sqrt{10})/5[/tex]
after plugging that in and solving for z, z's maximum is 3.83863112788

Then using that as the bounds for Z and using the same bounds for [tex]\theta[/tex]
The answer came out to be 127.137105725

Thanks to anyone that attempted to figure it out for me...

1. What is the formula for finding the volume within a sphere outside of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume within a sphere outside of a cylinder is V = (4/3)πr3 - πr2h, where r is the radius of the sphere and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do you determine the radius of the sphere?

The radius of the sphere can be determined by dividing the diameter by 2. If the diameter is not given, it can be calculated by multiplying the circumference of the sphere by 1/π.

3. What is the significance of the radius of the sphere in this formula?

The radius of the sphere is used to calculate the volume within the sphere. It is also used to determine the height of the cylinder, which is needed in the formula to find the volume outside of the cylinder.

4. Can this formula be used for any size sphere and cylinder?

Yes, this formula can be used for any size sphere and cylinder as long as the radius and height are known. It is a general formula that applies to all sizes.

5. How is the volume within the sphere and outside of the cylinder different?

The volume within the sphere and outside of the cylinder are different because they represent two different volumes. The volume within the sphere is the space occupied by the sphere itself, while the volume outside of the cylinder is the space between the sphere and the cylinder.