The Slope of the Curve, Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the derivative of f(x)=x^2, finding the slope of the curve at x=3, and writing an equation for the tangent line. The derivative of f(x)=x^2 is 2x and the slope can be found by using the derivative at the given point. The equation of the tangent line is y-y_0=f'(x_0)(x-x_0) where x_0=3 and y_0=9.
MorganJ
1. Find the derivative f' of f(x)=x^2. Then find the slope of the curve y=f(x) at x=3 and write an equation for the tangent line.

2. I know that the derivative of x^2 is 2x and I'm guessing that y=x^2, therfore, (3)^2 = 9 which is the value of y. So now the point is (3,9). How do I find the slope? Do I do rise over run which is 9/3 which is 3?

3. I already know the tangent line equation but the slope is getting me confused. I know slope is y=mx+b But what if this is with derivatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
3. I already know the tangent line equation but the slope is getting me confused. I know slope is y=mx+b But what if this is with derivatives?

No. The equation of the line is y = mx + b. m is the slope and b is the y intercept.

To find the slope of the tangent line, note that the derivative of a function at a point gives the slope of the tangent line. Then you have one point (3,9) and the slope, so you should be able to find the equation of the line.

The equation of the tangent line is:

[tex]y-y_0=f'(x_0)(x-x_0)[/tex]

In this case x0=3 and y0=9

Regards.

1. What is the slope of a curve?

The slope of a curve is a measure of its steepness at a particular point. It represents how much the curve is changing at that point.

2. How is the slope of a curve calculated?

The slope of a curve can be calculated by finding the derivative of the curve at a specific point. This involves finding the rate of change of the curve at that point.

3. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to find the slope of curves, as well as many other applications.

4. Why is the slope of a curve important?

The slope of a curve is important because it provides information about the behavior of the curve. It can tell us if the curve is increasing or decreasing, how steep it is at a specific point, and can also be used to find maximum and minimum points on the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of derivatives and the slope of a curve?

Derivatives and the slope of a curve have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They can be used to analyze motion, optimize systems, and make predictions about future trends.