Depression linked to analytical thinking

In summary, this article discusses how depression is linked to high analytical thinking skills and how these skills are used to make sense of the world. Depression can arise from the revelations that come from seeking truths and answers, and from the conundrums or problems that arise when seeking truths and answers. It is interesting to note that this article also discusses how intelligence is linked to depression, and that most of the depression patients in the author's practice are also his most intelligent patients.
noblegas
Depression seems to pose an evolutionary paradox. Research in the US and other countries estimates that between 30 to 50 percent of people have met current psychiatric diagnostic criteria for major depressive disorder sometime in their lives. But the brain plays crucial roles in promoting survival and reproduction, so the pressures of evolution should have left our brains resistant to such high rates of malfunction. Mental disorders should generally be rare — why isn’t depression?

This paradox could be resolved if depression were a problem of growing old. The functioning of all body systems and organs, including the brain, tends to deteriorate with age. This is not a satisfactory explanation for depression, however, as people are most likely to experience their first bout in adolescence and young adulthood...

source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=depressions-evolutionary&page=2

Interesting. So ,depression is linked to high analytical thinking skills; They are saying the reason why some people who isolate themselves from external stimuli like social interaction and not eating anything is because they need to used all of their internal energy to think about and try to the determine why they are in this state that they are currently in and try to produced solutions to get themselves out of that state; It just does not apply to yourself but also to problems you've been working on such as a math problem; Isaac Newton was depressed and he spent most of his time alone working on physics problems and of course practicing alchemy ; When most of you think about a problem be it a personal problem or a math problem , do you feel depressed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
well, I'm getting the hell out of engineering, if that tells you anything

I feel angry if I couldn’t solve a problem!

noblegas said:
source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=depressions-evolutionary&page=2

Interesting. So ,depression is linked to high analytical thinking skills; They are saying the reason why some people who isolate themselves from external stimuli like social interaction and not eating anything is because they need to used all of their internal energy to think about and try to the determine why they are in this state that they are currently in and try to produced solutions to get themselves out of that state; It just does not apply to yourself but also to problems you've been working on such as a math problem; Isaac Newton was depressed and he spent most of his time alone working on physics problems and of course practicing alchemy ; When most of you think about a problem be it a personal problem or a math problem , do you feel depressed?

Analytical thinking abilities are also used to make sense of the world. The world is a rather stupid place, and analytical thinking makes a person more aware of it.

Perhaps religion evolved (as a meme) to protect against depression?

All depression isn't created equal, I don't think the author of the article implies that it is. Individuals suffer dysfunction to varying degrees but for some it becomes destructive with behaviors out of the control of the individual. One must account for the difference between clinically mentally ill and those whose coping mechanisms include different depths of depression. If depression becomes prevalent and produces irrational thoughts, suicides, extreme behaviors; then it isn't a "normal" state, its chaotic.

Depression from analytical thought probably arises from conundrums or revelations in seeking truths and answers. Interestingly, depression in young adulthood appears common according to this article. This is a time many question their paths in life, their purpose, their taught belief systems. Once one reaches maturity emotionally and intellectually, questions arise which require introspection. One must then begin to account for strengths and weaknesses, successes and failures. Conclusions may also produce depression that is difficult to overcome or is repeating throughout an individuals life. Everyone experiences situational depression in life, now we live longer lives so that repeats itself more often and might prompt a longer depressive state. The use of exercise to overcome depression is merely releasing endorphins which provides a temporary relief/release.

kldickson hit the nail on the head. For many, using my own observations/experience, their work is a respite from chronic depressive states particularly if it is highly engaging requiring problem solving of a different nature. If ones work is rewarding then it becomes highly personal/important and can produce both a coping mechanism and/or situational depression.

It is an interesting article which likely resonates for many people.

I once talked to a prominent psychiatrist who told me that in his practice he has observed a significant correlation between intelligence and clinical depression. He offered no explanation, but said that most of his depression patients seemed to be also his most intelligent patients.

My guess: The more intelligent you are, the better you can see that life is pointless.

Count Iblis said:
My guess: The more intelligent you are, the better you can see that life is pointless.

interesting! so I AM intelligent :tongue:

I think the "standard" depression is usually experienced in high school when hormones are kind of flying and lots of things are still new in the context of emotional development. Being lonely doesn't help either.

After you're living with someone and having kids, you're probably a lot less likely to get this standard kind of depression. You get stress instead. You want to crush things.

seerongo said:
I once talked to a prominent psychiatrist who told me that in his practice he has observed a significant correlation between intelligence and clinical depression. He offered no explanation, but said that most of his depression patients seemed to be also his most intelligent patients.
Did these patients by any chance also have more demanding jobs with lots of responsibilities?

Monique said:
Did these patients by any chance also have more demanding jobs with lots of responsibilities?
Well, we didn't specifically discuss that, but knowing the area and the nature of the larger employers, sure, it probably was a factor there. In fact, now that I think back about our conversation, he actually mentioned one particular employer which seemed to him to contribute a disproportionate number of his clients. That is, disproportionate to it's size in the area. Of course, this comes just from one source, but I always thought it was interesting nevertheless.

Count Iblis said:

Yes, we overload brains and do not get an antistress education. What helps me a lot is a cold shower/swimming and physical work/exercises. This distracts a lot and makes me happy just without "reason". In fact, distraction and cold water change the brain chemistry to good.

Have you ever seen a person in water not smiling?

Bob_for_short said:
Yes, we overload brains and do not get an antistress education. What helps me a lot is a cold shower/swimming and physical work/exercises. This distracts a lot and makes me happy just without "reason". In fact, distraction and cold water change the brain chemistry to good.

I agree that physical exercise works. I run 5 to 6 times per week. But I don't like to swim, precisely because I cannot tolerate cold water. I remember very well when I entered a swimming pool a long time ago when the water was (to me) extremely cold, I think about 18 °C. I almost immediately started to hyperventilate.

Count Iblis said:
I agree that physical exercise works. I run 5 to 6 times per week. But I don't like to swim, precisely because I cannot tolerate cold water. I remember very well when I entered a swimming pool a long time ago when the water was (to me) extremely cold, I think about 18 °C. I almost immediately started to hyperventilate.

I was wrong when I wrote "swimming". I meant diving once or several times and get out.
Also lifting weights is good for feeling well and self-confidence.

Last edited:
Bob_for_short said:

Having worked as a lifeguard, yes. :biggrin:

Monique said:

People with severe depression will rarely be able to do such jobs.

Ivan Seeking said:
Having worked as a lifeguard, yes. :biggrin:

No, normally they are cheering wildly.

Just wondered if anyone has ever been the victim of another using your education as a stick to beat you with ( not literally of course ). I.e. "And you're supposed to be a clever man". I have never claimed to be clever or intelligent - in fact I'm beginning to think that the 'Intelligence" word is mostly used by stupid people.

jimod4343 said:
Just wondered if anyone has ever been the victim of another using your education as a stick to beat you with ( not literally of course ). I.e. "And you're supposed to be a clever man". I have never claimed to be clever or intelligent - in fact I'm beginning to think that the 'Intelligence" word is mostly used by stupid people.

Jimod4343 this thread has been silent for two years, too old to revive. Feel free to start a thread of your own, perhaps in thehttps://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the link between analytical thinking and depression?

Studies have shown that individuals who have a tendency towards analytical thinking may also be more likely to experience symptoms of depression. This is because analytical thinking can lead to overthinking, self-criticism, and negative rumination, all of which are common symptoms of depression.

2. Is analytical thinking a cause or a consequence of depression?

It is not entirely clear whether analytical thinking is a cause or a consequence of depression. Some studies suggest that individuals who are prone to analytical thinking may have certain genetic or environmental factors that also increase their risk of developing depression. On the other hand, depression can also lead to increased analytical thinking as a way to cope with negative emotions.

3. Can analytical thinking be a positive trait in some situations?

Yes, analytical thinking can be a valuable skill in certain situations, such as problem-solving and decision-making. It allows individuals to break down complex problems and make logical connections between different pieces of information. However, when applied to personal thoughts and emotions, it can contribute to feelings of depression and anxiety.

4. Are there any ways to manage the negative effects of analytical thinking on depression?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help manage the negative effects of analytical thinking on depression. These include practicing mindfulness, challenging negative thoughts, and seeking support from a therapist or counselor. Engaging in activities that promote relaxation and positive thinking can also be beneficial.

5. Can analytical thinking be unlearned or changed?

While it may be difficult to completely change one's tendency towards analytical thinking, it is possible to learn to manage and balance it with other thinking styles. Cognitive-behavioral therapy and other forms of therapy can help individuals recognize and challenge their negative thought patterns, leading to a more balanced and healthier thinking style.