Solve Improper Integration: \int^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{2}+2)^{2}}dx

• Thread starter Jonathan G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: You can't separate the denominator? So I guess it is the numerators you can separate. OK, I'll try this problem again but without expanding the bottom.OK i got it. It came out to converging to -1/4Thanks!When you have e^(-2*-infinity) it comes out to e^(infinity) hence infinity?\lim_{x \rightarrow - \infty} e^{ax} =0
Jonathan G

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{2}+2)^{2}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

I am well aware how it is to be done but when I take a stab at it, I just can't seem to get the correct solution. I think I might be missing a step somewhere or simply starting off incorrect.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{4}+4x+4)}dx[/tex]

Then I separate into 3 different integrals:

[tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{1}{x^{3}}dx[/tex] + [tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{1}{(4x)}dx[/tex] + [tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{4}dx[/tex]

and from there I try solving it the rest of the way but I just can't seem to get a solution that I am satisfied with. The first time I got that it diverges, second time i got divided by zero so I'm not sure which 1 to go with if any.

Physics news on Phys.org
1/(a+b) ≠ 1/a + 1/b

try putting u=x2+2 into the integral.

You can't separate the denominator? So I guess it is the numerators you can separate. OK, I'll try this problem again but without expanding the bottom.

OK i got it. It came out to converging to -1/4

Thanks!

When you have e^(-2*-infinity) it comes out to e^(infinity) hence infinity?

Jonathan G said:
When you have e^(-2*-infinity) it comes out to e^(infinity) hence infinity?

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow - \infty} e^{ax} =0[/tex]
EDIT: I corrected it, it is [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

Last edited:
What?!? I thought it was if it was as x-> negative infinity =zero : not when x->positive infinity.

Last edited:
Jonathan G said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{2}+2)^{2}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

I am well aware how it is to be done but when I take a stab at it, I just can't seem to get the correct solution. I think I might be missing a step somewhere or simply starting off incorrect.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{4}+4x+4)}dx[/tex]
You're missing an exponent on one of the terms in the denominator. It should be this:
[tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{4}+4x^2+4)}dx[/tex]

Actually, you didn't do yourself much good by multiplying it out. You could have directly used the substitution that rock.freak667 suggested.
Jonathan G said:
Then I separate into 3 different integrals:

[tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{1}{x^{3}}dx[/tex] + [tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{1}{(4x)}dx[/tex] + [tex]\int ^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{4}dx[/tex]
No, no, no! You really should go back and review how fractions and rational expressions add.
Jonathan G said:
and from there I try solving it the rest of the way but I just can't seem to get a solution that I am satisfied with. The first time I got that it diverges, second time i got divided by zero so I'm not sure which 1 to go with if any.

1. What is improper integration?

Improper integration is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals whose limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is undefined at certain points within the interval.

2. How do you solve improper integrals?

To solve improper integrals, you must first rewrite the integral in terms of a limit as the upper or lower limit of integration approaches infinity or a point of discontinuity. Then, evaluate the limit to find the value of the integral.

3. Can you use substitution to solve improper integrals?

Yes, substitution can be used to solve improper integrals. However, you must be careful when choosing the substitution to ensure that the new limits of integration are appropriate for the integral.

4. How do you solve the specific improper integral \int^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{2}+2)^{2}}dx?

To solve this improper integral, we first rewrite it as a limit:
lim_{t \to \infty} \int^{t}_{0}\frac{x}{(x^{2}+2)^{2}}dx.
Then, we use substitution with u = x^2 + 2 and du = 2x dx to rewrite the integral as:
lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{1}{2} \int^{t^2+2}_{2}\frac{1}{u^2}du.
Finally, we evaluate the limit and solve the resulting integral to get the answer of 1/4.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving improper integrals?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving improper integrals. These include integrals with infinite limits and integrals with discontinuous integrands. In these cases, you may need to use properties of integration or make a substitution to solve the integral.