How do I find the variance of p for a given wave function?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the variance of p for a given wave function, with confusion about setting up the integral and dealing with the partial derivative. The expert provides guidance on how to set up the integral and handle the partial derivative, and the conversation ends with the correct answer being found.
agingstudent

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the variance of p for a wave function [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,0)=A(a^2-x^2)

I'm confused about how to set up the integral.

it should be something like [tex]-i^2h^2\int_{-a}^a A(a^2-x^2) (\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x})^2 dx[/tex]

I'm confused about the partial derivative squared. My technique was to set up the integral like this:

[tex]hA^3\int_{-a}^a (a^2-x^2) (-2x^2)^2 dx[/tex] but I'm pretty sure my answer is way wrong. I don't know how to deal with the partial derivative. please help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For the variance, you need to find <p> and <p2>, then σ2=<p2>-(<p>)2. With

[tex]\psi(x)=A(a^{2}-x^{2})[/tex]

You should use

[tex]<p^{2}>=A^{2}\int(a^{2}-x^{2})(-\hbar^{2})\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(a^{2}-x^{2}) dx[/tex]

and

[tex]<p>=A^{2}\int(a^{2}-x^{2})(-i\hbar)\frac{d}{dx}(a^{2}-x^{2}) dx[/tex]

Take the second or first derivatives under the integral sign, before you integrate.

Last edited:
Thank you. I already found p, but my question is particularly about the part of the integrand that contains the partial derivative squared.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(a^{2}-x^{2}) dx[/tex]

I don't know what to do with that.

Is it just [tex](-2x)^2[\tex]

agingstudent said:
Thank you. I already found p, but my question is particularly about the part of the integrand that contains the partial derivative squared.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(a^{2}-x^{2}) dx[/tex]

I don't know what to do with that.

Forget about the dx on the end of that expression until you are ready to integrate.

Just take the second derivative of [itex]a^2-x^2[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex]...that's exactly what [itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(a^{2}-x^{2})[/itex] means.

So the second derivative is just taking the derivative twice, right? Which means the answer is 2?

agingstudent said:
So the second derivative is just taking the derivative twice, right? Which means the answer is 2?

Yes, [itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}f(x)[/itex] is just another way of writing [itex]f''(x)[/itex].

agingstudent said:
so the second derivative is just taking the derivative twice, right? Which means the answer is 2?

This can't be right. The integral is between -a and a, and this would set <p^2> to 0. But <p> is 0, and that would make the variance 0, which would violate the uncertainty principle.

agingstudent said:
This can't be right. The integral is between -a and a, and this would set <p^2> to 0. But <p> is 0, and that would make the variance 0, which would violate the uncertainty principle.

No,

[tex]\langle p^2\rangle=2\hbar^2A^2\int_{-a}^{a} (a^2-x^2)dx\neq 0[/tex]

No, it's not. I got the right answer. Thanks for all your help!

1. What is the expectation value of p^2?

The expectation value of p^2, denoted as <p^2>, is a measure of the average value of the momentum squared of a particle in a quantum system.

2. How is the expectation value of p^2 calculated?

The expectation value of p^2 can be calculated by taking the integral of the momentum squared operator, p^2, with respect to the wavefunction of the particle and its conjugate.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of p^2?

The expectation value of p^2 is significant because it provides information about the spread or uncertainty in the momentum of a particle. A larger value indicates a larger spread or uncertainty, while a smaller value indicates a more defined momentum.

4. How does the expectation value of p^2 relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of p^2 is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, as it is one of the quantities used to calculate the standard deviation of the momentum, which is a key component of the uncertainty principle.

5. Can the expectation value of p^2 be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of p^2 can be negative. This can occur when the wavefunction of the particle has both positive and negative values, resulting in a cancellation of the positive and negative momentum terms in the calculation of the expectation value.