Keyboard Shortcuts for 'SUB' and 'SUP' etc?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of shortcuts for the PF sub and sup functions, as well as the bold and underline shortcuts on a Mac. The possibility of changing the behavior of the sub and sup buttons is also mentioned. However, it is ultimately decided that there is no easy way to add more shortcuts and the code will not be customized for this purpose.
Saladsamurai
Are there any for the PF SUB and SUP functions?

I know that the standard ctrl + B, get us Bold as well as Underline and italicize.

But, are there shortcuts for SUP SUB QUOTE CODE LINK by any chance?

If not, I think at the least sub and sup shortcuts would be great.

ALSO, anyone know what the Bold and Underline shortcuts are on a MAC?

Usually a simple substitution of 'ctrl' with the 'apple button' makes it work, but no luck on PF...

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll look into it this weekend.

Sweet Greg. Thanks!

LaTex is awesome, but sometimes overkill; the whole point and click can be annoying, though.

I wonder if it is possible to change behavior of sub/sup buttons. As they work now, after they are clicked cursor is left between tags, which I find highly conuterintuitive. Would it possible to make the cursor move just PAST the closing tag? That is, instead of getting

[ѕub]1|[/sub]

I would prefer to get

[ѕub]1[/sub]|

Sure, if others think current version is OK I won't ask to change it just for me.

Borek said:
I wonder if it is possible to change behavior of sub/sup buttons. As they work now, after they are clicked cursor is left between tags, which I find highly conuterintuitive. Would it possible to make the cursor move just PAST the closing tag? That is, instead of getting

[ѕub]1|[/sub]

I would prefer to get

[ѕub]1[/sub]|

Sure, if others think current version is OK I won't ask to change it just for me.

Hi Borek :smile: I assume that you usually write what you wanted exponentiated first and then you highlight and apply the 'sup' tags.

I think the idea is that one usually clicks the 'sub' button and then writes their exponents.

In the latter, the cursor is just sitting there nicely, waiting for input from the user.

Just my $.02

Saladsamurai said:
I think the idea is that one usually clicks the 'sub' button and then writes their exponents.

Then I am weird, I usually enter text first, format it later. Probably because I had to do in my life with tons of text that was already entered and required adjusting and formatting.

But as I wrote - I can live with it, if others won't feel like it is step ahead, I am not going to complain.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll look into it this weekend.

Hey Greg. I am sure you are quite busy, but I was just curious as to whether anything ever
came of this?

When ever you have time, let me know.

~Casey

Saladsamurai said:
Hey Greg. I am sure you are quite busy, but I was just curious as to whether anything ever
came of this?

When ever you have time, let me know.

~Casey

Casey, it turns out there is no easy way to add more shortcuts and honestly I'm not going to customize the code for this purpose, sorry :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Casey, it turns out there is no easy way to add more shortcuts and honestly I'm not going to customize the code for this purpose, sorry :)

Works for me!

1. What are keyboard shortcuts for 'SUB' and 'SUP'?

The keyboard shortcut for subscript (SUB) is CTRL + = (Windows) or CMD + = (Mac). The keyboard shortcut for superscript (SUP) is CTRL + SHIFT + = (Windows) or CMD + SHIFT + = (Mac).

2. How do I use keyboard shortcuts for 'SUB' and 'SUP'?

To use the keyboard shortcuts for SUB and SUP, simply select the text you want to format and then press the corresponding shortcut keys. You can also use the Format menu or the toolbar buttons to apply subscript or superscript formatting.

3. Can I customize the keyboard shortcuts for 'SUB' and 'SUP'?

Yes, you can customize the keyboard shortcuts for SUB and SUP in most applications. Look for the Keyboard Shortcuts or Preferences menu to make changes to the default shortcuts.

4. Are there other useful keyboard shortcuts for formatting text?

Yes, there are many other keyboard shortcuts for formatting text, such as CTRL + B for bold, CTRL + I for italic, and CTRL + U for underline. You can also use keyboard shortcuts for changing font size, alignment, and more.

5. Where can I find a list of all the keyboard shortcuts for formatting text?

You can usually find a list of keyboard shortcuts for formatting text in the Help menu of your application. You can also search online for a specific application's keyboard shortcuts or refer to the application's user manual.