Find the normal force and magnitude of acceleration.

In summary, a horizontal force of 100 N is pushing a 12-kg block up a frictionless incline at a 25° angle. The normal force exerted by the incline on the block can be calculated using trigonometry and is approximately 117.72 N. The magnitude of the block's acceleration can be found using the formula F=ma and is approximately 56.9 m/s^2.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 100 N pushes a 12-kg block up a frictionless incline that makes an angle of 25° with the horizontal. (Use g = 9.81 m/s2.)
1. What is the normal force, in Newtons, that the incline exerts on the block? Round your answer to two significant figures.

2. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block in m/s2? Round your answer to one decimal place.

Homework Equations

F=ma

a=dv/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I got it as 117.72. Is it right? And if it's right how do I round to 2 significant figures.
2. I don't know how to find acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, remember that the normal always make a 90 degree angle with the surface. So your first result is not correct.

The second question is best solved using the normal force, the horizontal force, some trigonometry and Pythagoras. Try to solve the first one, and then you can get further help with the second question.

What I did is F=ma => F=12*9.81m/s^2
How do I substitute 90 degree in that?

|\
|a\
|...\
|...\

Know that gravity works strait down and figure out the angle a, then use appropriate trigonometric functions to calculate the answer. The non-strait-down line in the sketch is the normal.

I got the acceleration as 56.9 m/s^2 Is it right?
But I still can't find what's normal force.

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that an object experiences when it is in contact with a surface, and it is always perpendicular to the surface.

2. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is calculated by using the formula FN = m * g * cos(θ), where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface and the horizontal.

3. What factors affect the normal force?

The normal force is affected by the weight of the object, the angle of the surface, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How is the magnitude of acceleration related to the normal force?

The magnitude of acceleration is directly proportional to the normal force. This means that as the normal force increases, the magnitude of acceleration also increases.

5. Can the normal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the weight of an object. This can happen when there are external forces acting on the object, such as a person pushing down on it. In this case, the normal force would be equal to the weight of the object plus the additional force applied.