Probability of a Specific 5 Card Poker Hand

In summary, the problem is to find the probability of being dealt event A in a 5 card poker hand, where A = {2 pair and 1 card all of the same colour}. Two methods were used to solve this problem, with the first one resulting in a probability of 0.00066 and the second one resulting in a probability of 0.00132. The difference between the two is due to the first method only considering half of the possible hands, as it only allowed for the choice of black or red cards. Therefore, the second method is correct.
wooster
Hello everyone,

First post here so be kind :)

I am working on a problem, that should be easy, but I just want to make sure my logic is correct. The problem is to find the probability of being dealt event A in a 5 card poker hand, where

A = {2 pair and 1 card all of the same colour}

Now I took a counting approach to this problem, where I counted all the possible ways for A, then divided by 52 choose 5 (the total number of unordered five card poker hands). I tried two ways which seemed to make sense, but they give me different answers.

Method 1

First, choose two ranks: 13 choose 2
Then choose two cards from first rank: 2 choose 2
Then choose two cards from second rank: 2 choose 2
Choose last card in 26-4 ways: 22 choose 1

So P(A) = (13 choose 2)*(2 choose 2)*(2 choose 2)*(22 choose 1)/(52 choose 5) = 0.00066

Method 2

First, choose colour: 2 choose 1
Choose two ranks: 13 choose 2
Then choose two cards from first rank: 2 choose 2
Then choose two cards from second rank: 2 choose 2
Choose last card in 26-4 ways: 22 choose 1

So P(A) = (2 choose 1)*(13 choose 2)*(2 choose 2)*(2 choose 2)*(22 choose 1)/(52 choose 5) = 0.00132

The second probability is obviously two times the first due to the initial choosing of the colour, is this redundant? Which method, if any, is correct?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first method, you "dealt" with the color issue by having the number of ways of picking a pair of a certain rank be 2 choose 2. That means you're only allowing the choice of black cards (alternatively: only allowing red cards). Which means that you didn't count all the ways of getting the hand with red cards (or black cards). So your first method is incorrect since you only counted half the possible hands

Okay, that makes sense. So that means the second method is correct?

What is the probability of getting a royal flush in a 5 card poker hand?

The probability of getting a royal flush in a 5 card poker hand is 0.000154% or 1 in 649,740. This is because there are only 4 possible royal flush combinations out of a total of 2,598,960 possible 5 card poker hands.

What is the probability of getting a straight flush in a 5 card poker hand?

The probability of getting a straight flush in a 5 card poker hand is 0.00139% or 1 in 72,192. This is because there are 10 possible straight flush combinations and 40 possible suit combinations, resulting in 40 divided by 2,598,960 total possible 5 card poker hands.

What is the probability of getting four of a kind in a 5 card poker hand?

The probability of getting four of a kind in a 5 card poker hand is 0.0240% or 1 in 4,165. This is because there are 13 possible four of a kind combinations and 48 possible remaining cards to pair with them, resulting in 624 divided by 2,598,960 total possible 5 card poker hands.

What is the probability of getting a full house in a 5 card poker hand?

The probability of getting a full house in a 5 card poker hand is 0.1441% or 1 in 694. This is because there are 156 possible full house combinations and 2,598 possible total 5 card poker hands.

What is the probability of getting a flush in a 5 card poker hand?

The probability of getting a flush in a 5 card poker hand is 0.1965% or 1 in 509. This is because there are 1,277 possible flush combinations and 2,598 possible total 5 card poker hands.