In what medium do light, energy, and matter exist?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the existence of a medium in which light, energy, and matter exist. The participants are questioning if there is a material or "nothing" that makes up this medium. It is mentioned that spacetime has geometric properties, but not material properties like velocity or density. The conversation also touches on the idea that people may not know and feel the need to ask for clarification.
Pattonias
In what medium do light, energy, and matter exist?

I'm wondering what medium, material, substance do light, energy, and matter exist in. I'm not saying that I neccesarily think there is one, but I am wondering what the theories are in relation to our universe.
Do these three things exist in a medium like sound travels through air or fish live in water?

Is there actually such a thing as absolute nothing?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't know why people get the idea that spacetime must either be a material or "nothing". Spacetime has geometric properties such as distances (intervals), angles, and curvature. It does not have material properties such as velocity or density.

DaleSpam said:
I don't know why people get the idea that spacetime must either be a material or "nothing". Spacetime has geometric properties such as distances (intervals), angles, and curvature. It does not have material properties such as velocity or density.

Well I figure some people don't know one way or another and might feel the need to ask those who do. I can't speak for people, but that is why I asked.

Fair enough. The point is that you only know what something is by the properties it has. In the case of spacetime it has the properties that I mentioned above.

1. What is the definition of "medium" in terms of light, energy, and matter?

The term "medium" refers to the substance or material that allows for the transmission of light, energy, and matter. In other words, it is the physical environment or space in which these entities can exist and travel.

2. Is there a single medium in which light, energy, and matter exist?

No, there is not a single medium in which all three entities exist. Light can travel through a vacuum, energy can exist in various forms such as heat or kinetic energy, and matter can exist in different states such as solid, liquid, or gas.

3. How do light, energy, and matter interact with different mediums?

The interactions between light, energy, and matter depend on the properties of the medium they are traveling through. For example, light can be reflected, refracted, or absorbed by different materials. Energy can be transferred or converted into different forms depending on the medium, and matter can undergo chemical reactions or changes in state when in contact with different substances.

4. Can light, energy, and matter exist in a vacuum?

Yes, light and energy can exist in a vacuum as they do not require a medium to travel through. However, matter cannot exist in a vacuum as it needs a physical medium to occupy and interact with.

5. How do scientists study the behavior of light, energy, and matter in different mediums?

Scientists use various experimental techniques and technologies such as spectroscopy, microscopy, and particle accelerators to study the behavior and interactions of light, energy, and matter in different mediums. These techniques allow for the observation and measurement of properties such as wavelength, energy levels, and physical changes in matter when exposed to different mediums.