AP Physics: Horse Pulls Cart - Is My Thought Process Right?

In summary, the conversation discusses a true or false question about a horse pulling a cart and the cart pulling back with the same force. The individual argues that the cart will not move because the opposing forces cancel out, but this assumption is challenged by Newton's law which states that every force has an equal and opposite reaction. An article is referenced to further explain this concept. The conclusion is that the opposing forces in this scenario do not cancel out and the cart will move.
JustinvanZyl
Alright so I just wrote an AP physics test and one of the true or false questions was:

A horse pulls a cart and the cart pulls back on the horse with the same force. Does the cart move? (the cart starts at rest)

I said false because in order for an object to move it needs a net force but if the two opposing forces cancel out and the net force is zero then the object won't move.

Is my though process right? or am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
JustinvanZyl said:
I said false because in order for an object to move it needs a net force but if the two opposing forces cancel out and the net force is zero then the object won't move.
If the the two opposing forces both pull on the same object they cancel out and the object won't move. But here the two opposing forces pull on two different objects.

1. What is the equation for calculating the force of a horse pulling a cart in AP Physics?

The equation for calculating the force of a horse pulling a cart in AP Physics is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the cart, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does the angle between the horse and the cart affect the force?

The angle between the horse and the cart does not affect the force, as long as the horse is pulling in the same direction as the cart's motion. The force will only change if the angle causes the direction of the force to change.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in this situation?

Static friction occurs when the horse is initially pulling the cart and the wheels are not yet moving. Kinetic friction occurs when the wheels are in motion. In this situation, static friction is greater than kinetic friction.

4. How does the mass of the cart impact the force required from the horse?

The greater the mass of the cart, the greater the force required from the horse to accelerate it. This is because the force needed to accelerate an object is directly proportional to its mass.

5. What other factors besides force and mass can affect the acceleration of the cart?

Other factors that can affect the acceleration of the cart include the friction between the wheels and the ground, the angle of the incline (if there is one), and the air resistance. These factors may change the overall force needed to accelerate the cart.