Prove 2/5 perfect squares must be even to have their sum equal odd

In summary, given the equality a2+b2+c2+d2+e2=f2, it can be proven that at least 2 out of the 6 variables must be even. This can be done by considering the equality modulo 8 and using the fact that mod 8 only has 1 quadratic residue for odd numbers. Other modulos such as 2^n can also be helpful in proving this statement.
cap.r

Homework Statement

given the equality a2+b2+c2+d2+e2=f2

prove 2 out of the the 6 variables must be even.

Homework Equations

can use quadratic residues and primitive roots if it helps but don't think i need them.

The Attempt at a Solution

assume f is even. then f2 is even. and not all 5 numbers on the left can be odd or else we would have odd=even. so at least one even on the LHS completes this case.

assume f is odd. then f2 is odd. so the LHS must have a odd number of odd numbers. 1,3,5 of these numbers must be odd. if it's 1,3 then we have at least 2 even and are done.

so now i need to prove by contradiction that not all 5 can be odd. this is where i am stuck and am thinking maybe the whole method is wrong.

a hint would be nice, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is perfectly workable. To obtain your contradiction in the last case try to consider the equality modulo 8 (HINT: If a is odd, then you know a^2 mod 8).

ok so RHS is 1 mod 8 and LHS is 5 mod 8. easy, but how did you know to use mod 8? i have noticed that mod 8,6,4 are particularly important. but i never know which one to use. i have actually considered mod 4 here but that didn't give me any results.

Mostly experience I guess. I knew that mod 8 have very few quadratic residues, and that 1 is the only odd one so it seemed like a natural choice. I also considered mod 4 briefly first, but saw that due to the fact that the left hand side wrapped around too early no contradiction could be obtained, but as mod 8 has very similar behavior for odd numbers I just thought of it. There are some quadratic residues that are often helpful. For instance working mod 2^n often gives good results, especially when dealing with powers of numbers whose parity you know.

What does it mean for a number to be a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it can be expressed as 3 x 3.

Why do 2/5 of the perfect squares have to be even to have their sum equal an odd number?

This is because when you add an even number of even numbers, the result will always be even. Therefore, in order for the sum of 2/5 of the perfect squares to be odd, 2/5 of them must be odd. And since the remaining 3/5 must be even, this means that 2/5 of the perfect squares must be even.

Is there a mathematical proof for this statement?

Yes, there is a proof for this statement. The proof involves using the fact that the sum of two odd numbers is always even and the sum of two even numbers is always even. By rearranging the terms and using some algebra, it can be shown that 2/5 of the perfect squares must be even for their sum to be equal to an odd number.

Are there any exceptions to this statement?

No, there are no exceptions to this statement. This is a mathematical rule that holds true for all perfect squares.

How can this statement be applied in real life or other fields of study?

This statement can be applied in fields such as engineering, statistics, and physics, where the concept of even and odd numbers is important. It can also be used in problem-solving and finding patterns in data sets.