Optimizing Double Integrals with Base e

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integrating over a specific region and possible solutions to this problem. The speaker suggests switching the bounds to 0 < x < 1 and x < y < 1, which results in the integral \int_0^1\int_x^1 e^{x^2} dy dx. However, there may be a typo in the textbook that is causing the issue.
r_swayze
[tex]
\int_0^1\int_0^y e^{x^2} dx dy
[/tex]

The region I am integrating over should look like this graph, right?

I tried switching the bounds but I am left where what I started.

since 0 < x < y, and 0 < y < 1

I can switch to 0 < x < 1 , and x < y < 1

leaving me with the integral [tex]
\int_0^1\int_x^1 e^{x^2} dy dx
[/tex]

integrating gives ex2y

then substituting the values for y gives [tex]
\int_0^1 e^{x^2} - e^{x^2}x dx
[/tex]

Am I integrating over the wrong bounds? I know if 0 < y < x, it would work.

Attachments

• integral.jpg
    integral.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks correct and you reversed the limits nicely. I suspect a typo in your textbook. (Of course you can do the second integral but that doesn't help).

1. What is a double integral with base e?

A double integral with base e is a mathematical concept used in calculus to solve problems involving two variables. It represents the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space, where the base of the curve is defined by the natural logarithm function e^x.

2. How is a double integral with base e different from a regular double integral?

A double integral with base e differs from a regular double integral in that the limits of integration are defined by the natural logarithm function e^x rather than a constant value. This allows for more complex and accurate calculations in certain situations.

3. What are some real-world applications of double integrals with base e?

Double integrals with base e have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of irregular shapes, finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, and determining the probability of an event occurring in a given area.

4. How is a double integral with base e calculated?

To calculate a double integral with base e, the limits of integration are first determined using the natural logarithm function e^x. Then, the function being integrated is multiplied by the base e and the resulting expression is integrated with respect to both variables. The final result is the area under the curve defined by the function.

5. Can a double integral with base e be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, a double integral with base e can be extended to higher dimensions, such as triple integrals in three-dimensional space. In these cases, the limits of integration are defined by the natural logarithm function e^x for each dimension, and the function being integrated is multiplied by the corresponding bases. The resulting expression is then integrated with respect to all variables to find the volume under the curve defined by the function.