How to Superimpose Flux Values on an Aitoff All Sky Map?

• Thread starter manjeet85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Sky
In summary: Your Name]In summary, Jeremy is looking for help creating an aitoff all sky map, as he has flux values given by an equation that depend on different latitudes and longitudes. He is familiar with creating aitoff projections in maple 12 but is unsure of how to superimpose his flux values onto the map to create an all sky map. Suggestions for creating the map include using software programs like IDL or Python, using a spreadsheet program like Excel or Google Sheets, or coding in languages like Python or R.
manjeet85
Hi all,

I need to get an aitoff all sky flux map. I have flux given by an equation that depends on different latitudes and longitudes.

I also know how to get aitoff projection in maple 12:

My problem is that I do not know how to superimpose my flux values on this aitoff map to get an all sky map like this:

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/cgro/images/epo/gallery/skymaps/26al_map_annotated.jpg

Is there any other easier way to make aitoff all sky maps?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about creating an aitoff all sky map. The aitoff projection is a useful tool for visualizing data on a global scale, and there are a few different ways you can superimpose your flux values onto the map to create an all sky map like the one in the example you provided.

One option is to use a software program specifically designed for creating maps, such as IDL or Python's matplotlib library. These programs have built-in functions for creating aitoff maps and overlaying data onto them. You can input your flux values as data points with corresponding latitudes and longitudes and the program will automatically plot them onto the map.

Another option is to use a spreadsheet program like Excel or Google Sheets. You can plot your data points on a scatter plot and then use the program's chart formatting tools to change the projection to aitoff. This will allow you to see your data points plotted on a global scale.

If you are comfortable with coding, you can also use a programming language like Python or R to create your aitoff map. There are many tutorials and examples available online for how to plot data on an aitoff projection using these languages.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas for how to create your all sky map. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is an Aitoff all sky flux map?

An Aitoff all sky flux map is a type of map that displays the distribution of flux or energy emitted by celestial objects across the entire celestial sphere. It is usually presented as a two-dimensional projection of the sky onto a flat surface, with the center of the map representing the celestial equator and the edges representing the poles.

2. How are Aitoff all sky flux maps created?

Aitoff all sky flux maps are created using data collected by telescopes and satellites, which measure the intensity and location of different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted by celestial objects. This data is then processed and projected onto a map using a specific map-making algorithm, such as the Aitoff projection.

3. What can we learn from Aitoff all sky flux maps?

Aitoff all sky flux maps provide valuable information about the distribution and intensity of radiation emitted by celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and gas clouds. By analyzing these maps, scientists can study the structure and evolution of the universe, identify new objects and phenomena, and gain insights into the physical processes occurring in different regions of the sky.

4. Are there any limitations to Aitoff all sky flux maps?

While Aitoff all sky flux maps are a useful tool for studying the universe, they do have some limitations. These maps are based on data collected from different sources, which may have varying levels of accuracy and resolution. Additionally, the projection used to create the map can introduce distortions, particularly at the edges of the map. Therefore, it is important to carefully analyze and interpret Aitoff all sky flux maps in conjunction with other data and observations.

5. How are Aitoff all sky flux maps used in research?

Aitoff all sky flux maps are used in a variety of research areas, including cosmology, astrophysics, and astronomy. They provide a visual representation of complex data, allowing scientists to identify patterns and trends in the distribution of energy across the sky. These maps are also used to compare different regions of the sky, track changes over time, and identify new objects and structures. Overall, Aitoff all sky flux maps are an important tool for advancing our understanding of the universe.