Math Guidance Wanted: Grad Student Seeking Advice

• Math
  • Thread starter Geometrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the speaker is a graduate student seeking guidance due to personal issues affecting their PhD program. They are considering leaving graduate school to pursue a degree with more immediate employability or staying and switching their focus to applied math. They are also interested in doing a thesis in quantitative finance, despite potential challenges in the current job market. The speaker is open to different fields and is hoping to finish their thesis quicker if they choose a different topic. They also mention their admiration for James Simons and their potential career path. Ultimately, the speaker is seeking advice from others who may have left graduate school for better financial prospects. In conclusion, the speaker is considering option 2 and believes that employers do not heavily consider the topic of one's thesis.
Geometrick
I'm currently a grad student and I was hoping some of the more experienced members of this board could give me some guidance.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I'm really wondering if being in a PhD program is the best possible option for me. I do not want to get into specifics, seeing as how all these posts are Google cached, I will just say some outside, non-academic issues are come up that I need to deal with sooner rather than later. In particular, money is becoming a big issue.

Fortunately, my university has a very good applied math department and the department overall is very flexible with who my adviser can be, within reason.

OK, let's cut to the chase. As you can tell by my name, I wanted to do geometry in graduate school. However, things change. I'm considering the following two options:

(1) Leave graduate school and try to go to business school or attempt to get a masters degree in a field that will allow me to be employed within the next 2-3 years.

Personally, I see a lot of problems with this situation. For one, I have no experience in business school or anything really outside of math. I am also wary of taking on so much debt, it seems like it can escalate to 6 figure debt.

(2) Stay in graduate school, but switch my focus to some in applied math or has a higher degree of employability.

This is my favorite option at the moment. Coming into graduate school, I wanted to work on geometry and mathematical physics. But that was then. I am in a totally different situation right now, and I cannot afford to be selfish at the moment. I have many other interests mathematically, it doesn't have to be geometry. I'm flexible. And I'm also hoping I can get my thesis done quicker if I pick a field outside of geometry.

A question I have is: How much do employers care what you did your thesis on? I'm heavily considering doing a thesis in quantitative finance, and this will be possible for me to do in my department, so this is not a concern. I understand the quant market right now might not be so good, but in 3 or 4 years, hopefully it will have picked back up. And I honestly have always been fascinated by quants, one of my favorite mathematicians is James Simons; I actually wanted to do my thesis in geometry and then move to a hedge fund anyway, kind of like Simons, except for the working at a government position and then being head of a math department.

Anyone else leave graduate school to do something with more financial prospects? And for anyone who thinks this money is for me, please do not assume that, it is not the case. I do not want to get into a discussion about my motivations for switching, they are valid, please trust me on that. And I do have genuine interest in applied math and other fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
go with number 2. employers don't really care what your thesis is on. the fact that you have a phd shows that you can solve new problems by yourself which employers will like.

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand the struggles and difficult decisions that come with being a graduate student. It's important to prioritize your well-being and financial stability, especially during these uncertain times.

First and foremost, I want to encourage you to seek guidance and support from your department and university. They may have resources available to assist you in navigating your options and making the best decision for your situation.

Regarding your options, it's understandable that you are considering switching your focus to a more employable field in order to secure a job in the near future. However, it's important to also consider your long-term career goals and how your thesis topic may impact those goals. Employers do value the skills and knowledge gained from a PhD, regardless of the specific topic. So while your thesis topic may not be directly related to a job in the finance industry, the critical thinking and problem-solving skills you develop during your PhD can be applied to various fields.

I also recommend reaching out to professionals in the finance industry, such as quants or hedge fund managers, to gain insight into their career paths and the skills they find most valuable in their field. This can help you make a more informed decision about your thesis topic and potential career paths.

Ultimately, it's important to choose a path that aligns with your interests and goals, while also taking into consideration your current circumstances. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process and trust that you will make the best choice for yourself. And remember, it's never too late to make a change if you find that your chosen path is not the right fit. Your happiness and well-being should always be a top priority.

1. How can I improve my understanding of advanced math concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of advanced math concepts is to practice regularly. Solve problems, work through proofs, and try to explain the concepts to someone else. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online courses, or tutoring services.

2. How do I manage the workload of being a grad student in a math program?

Time management is key in managing the workload of a grad student in a math program. Create a schedule to ensure you are allocating enough time for studying, attending classes, and completing assignments. Prioritize your tasks and try to break them down into smaller, manageable chunks. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek support from your professors or peers.

3. What are some strategies for tackling difficult math problems?

When faced with a difficult math problem, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Look for patterns or connections to previous concepts you have learned. Don't be afraid to experiment with different approaches and methods. And if you get stuck, don't hesitate to seek guidance from your professor or classmates.

4. How can I stay motivated and avoid burnout in my math program?

Grad school can be demanding and it's important to take care of yourself to avoid burnout. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate your successes. Take breaks and make time for activities outside of your studies. Surround yourself with a supportive community of peers and mentors. Remember why you are pursuing a math degree and how it will benefit your future goals.

5. What advice do you have for succeeding in a math program as a grad student?

The key to succeeding in a math program as a grad student is to be persistent and have a growth mindset. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them. Be proactive in seeking help and resources when needed. And most importantly, stay passionate and curious about the subject and its applications.