3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter

In summary, a 2nd year engineering student is struggling with building a 3V to 5V DC-DC boost converter using only discreet components and within a 30mA current limit. They have searched online for information but have not found what they need. Another user suggests using two 1.6V batteries in series, but the student is unsure of the values of the components needed. Another user offers a circuit using an astable multivibrator and a voltage doubler, while another suggests an instructable for a similar project. The student is grateful for the help and is still looking for more suggestions.
SanGaL
hi everyone :smile:

i am a 2nd year engineering student...i have a problem here... :confused: i was asked to build a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter but i have no idea how to build it... i have search all over the webs but the information they gave me ain't what i want.

i was asked to build a step up from 3V to 5V converter using only discreet components. I can't uses switches too... :frown: The current must be within 30mA.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can help me... :wink:

Thankz :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a 3V battery and connect a 2V battery in series.

i can only use two 1.6V batteries in the circuit.

http://www.powerdesigners.com/InfoWeb/design_center/articles/DC-DC/converter.shtm . This help?

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe... I've tried building this circuit already but don't know why it can't work.
is it because of the values i use for the components?
i've used:
1)150uH inductor
2)BC817-25 transistor
3)0.47uF cap
4)BAS85 diode

can give suggestions on what components i can use?
Thanz =)

Got me there. My experience consists in building a capacitive discharge ignition system from a kit forty years ago that had a 12 to 400V dc-dc converter in it. Put out a hell of a spark--actually advanced the timing.

Then how can i calculate the values of the components i need to boost the voltage from 3V to 5V??

Are you certain your timing circuit is sending pulses to the transistor that saturate it?

How much of a load are you placing across the outputs of the boost converter?

What does the behavior across the components look like on a scope?

Cliff

try this i requires no inductors

I was searching for a single component to do this and ran across your request.
Try the attached circuit. It is an astable multivibrator tied to a voltage doubler.
It's very straight forward.
Mayj

MAYJ said:
I was searching for a single component to do this and ran across your request.
Try the attached circuit. It is an astable multivibrator tied to a voltage doubler.
It's very straight forward.
Mayj
This thread is going to be 3 years old soon.

BTW, you forgot to attach the circuit for those who may interested in it.

1. What is a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter?

A 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter is a type of electronic circuit that converts a lower input voltage of 3 volts to a higher output voltage of 5 volts. It is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable power supply for components that require a higher voltage than what is available from the battery or power source.

2. How does a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter work?

A 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter works by using a switch, an inductor, and a capacitor to convert the input voltage to a higher output voltage. The switch rapidly turns on and off, creating a square wave that is fed into the inductor. This causes the inductor to store energy, which is then released into the capacitor, increasing the voltage. The output voltage is regulated by controlling the duty cycle of the switch.

3. What are the advantages of using a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter?

There are several advantages to using a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter. Firstly, it allows for efficient conversion of a lower input voltage to a higher output voltage, reducing the need for bulky and expensive batteries. Additionally, it can provide a stable and regulated output voltage, which is crucial for sensitive electronic components. It also allows for flexibility in design, as the converter can be easily adjusted to provide different output voltages.

4. What are some common applications of a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter?

A 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter is commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops. It can also be found in portable electronic devices, such as MP3 players and digital cameras. Additionally, it is used in industrial applications, such as in power supplies for sensors and control circuits.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter?

One potential drawback of using a 3V to 5V dc-dc boost converter is that it can introduce noise into the output voltage, which can affect the performance of sensitive electronic components. Additionally, it may require additional components such as capacitors and inductors, which can add to the overall cost and complexity of the circuit. However, with proper design and selection of components, these potential drawbacks can be minimized.