What is the nature of a differential form?

In summary: I can't think of anything sensible to say about 3 forms.I think the utility of differential forms is that they represent geometrically natural operations on vector fields and vector fields are basic to physics. So forms are a natural language for physics. They just seem to be a little hard to visualize. So the reason for using them is that they simplify calculations by providing natural "book keeping" tools that are simpler than the original operations. This is the same reason they are used in calculus.
AxiomOfChoice
Can someone please tell me necessary and sufficient conditions on a differential [tex]d \mathbf F[/tex], where [tex]\mathbf F[/tex] is a vector field, for the differential to be exact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, maybe an easier (hopefully?) question is in order: Let [tex]\mathbf r[/tex] be the position vector in Euclidean 3-space. How do we know that [tex]\oint_C d\mathbf r = 0[/tex] for every closed curve [tex]C[/tex]?

AxiomOfChoice said:
Can someone please tell me necessary and sufficient conditions on a differential [tex]d \mathbf F[/tex], where [tex]\mathbf F[/tex] is a vector field, for the differential to be exact?

By dF do you mean the 1 form <F,>? <,> is the euclidean inner product.

A necessary and sufficient condition for exactness of a 1 form is that its integral over any closed curve is zero. Choose any point in space and define f(x) = Integral from p to x of the form along any curve connecting p to x. The function is well defined because two different paths determine a closed loop and the integral over the closed loop is zero.

the other way around is just the fundamental theorem of calculus.

I think the OP is asking about vector-valued forms, of the form

[tex]\omega = \omega^a{}_\mu \vec e_a \; dx^\mu[/tex]

One can think of this object either as a 1-form whose components are vectors, or as a vector whose components are 1-forms. I think in this case, the latter description is easier. Then, a vector of 1-forms is exact if and only if each of its component 1-forms is exact.

In particular, for any vector field [itex]\vec F[/itex], the vector-valued 1-form [itex]d \vec F[/itex] is exact by definition.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but how do you people visualize differential forms? I mean, a vector is an arrow, but what is a form? I guess a 1-form is a linear functional which takes the inner product between some vector and it's input vector? Much like a bra in the Dirac notation.

Ben Niehoff said:
I think the OP is asking about vector-valued forms, of the form

[tex]\omega = \omega^a{}_\mu \vec e_a \; dx^\mu[/tex]

One can think of this object either as a 1-form whose components are vectors, or as a vector whose components are 1-forms. I think in this case, the latter description is easier. Then, a vector of 1-forms is exact if and only if each of its component 1-forms is exact.

In particular, for any vector field [itex]\vec F[/itex], the vector-valued 1-form [itex]d \vec F[/itex] is exact by definition.

I think you are right. The integral will be zero iff the components are exact. The arguments are the same.

F is a vector of its component functions. dF is the vector of differentials of the component functions and so is exact.

In dimension 3 this can be looked at another way.

The integral of the vector field over a closed curve in 3 space is the integral of the normal component of its curl over any surface that the curve bounds. So if the curl is zero its integral over any closed curve is zero and it is exact. This a just a vector version of the Poincare lemma which says that the homology of Euclidean space is zero.

In higher dimensions you don't have this nice duality between vector fields and forms but there is an analogous statement.

daudaudaudau said:
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but how do you people visualize differential forms? I mean, a vector is an arrow, but what is a form? I guess a 1-form is a linear functional which takes the inner product between some vector and it's input vector? Much like a bra in the Dirac notation.

Forms are difficult to visualize generally. Some cases are tractable.

If you have a metric then a 1 form can be thought of as a vector field using the dual mapping. A different metric will determine a different vector field. For instance the differential of a function has different gradients depending on the metric.

In 3 space a two form can be visualized through its kernel which is a1` dimensional vector space that has a natural orientation. This can be thought of as a vector field - I think.
If you follow the flow of the field you can think of it as carrying the 2 form along the flow from point to point.

But there is more to it. At each point the 2 form determines a measure on the tranversal 2 plane to the flow. So really the flow carries a measure along with it. If the form is closed this means - I think - that the measure is preserved by the flow. the reason is that if you draw a little square in a transversal plane a let if fill out a small solid as it flows along the vector field - the form integrates to zero over the entire solid - Stoke's Theorem - and its integral along the flow sides is zero because the tangent space to the flow side contains the flow vectors. This may be a little wrong but is substantially correct.

A similar type of reasoning can be used for 1 forms in 3 space - but then the kernel is not a flow so is probably harder to visualize.

1. What is an exact (vector) differential?

An exact (vector) differential is a mathematical concept used to describe the change of a function with respect to its variables. It is a vector quantity that represents the direction and magnitude of change in the function.

2. How is an exact (vector) differential different from an ordinary differential?

An exact (vector) differential is different from an ordinary differential in that it takes into account both the direction and magnitude of change in the function, whereas an ordinary differential only considers the magnitude of change.

3. What is the significance of exact (vector) differentials in physics?

Exact (vector) differentials are crucial in physics as they allow us to describe the changes of physical quantities in a precise and systematic manner. They are used in various fields such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics.

4. How are exact (vector) differentials represented mathematically?

Exact (vector) differentials are represented mathematically using the gradient operator, which is denoted by the symbol ∇. It is an operator that takes the partial derivatives of a function with respect to its variables and combines them into a vector quantity.

5. Can an exact (vector) differential be integrated?

Yes, an exact (vector) differential can be integrated, as it is a function of the independent variables. This integration process is known as finding the primitive function or the antiderivative of the exact (vector) differential.