Frustrated with Drawing Level Curves: Help Appreciated!

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of level curves in relation to a given function and the task of drawing a level curve. The equation for a level curve is derived and the importance of investigating different values of c is highlighted.
Grzegorz
hi... I am new to this topic and frustrated.

I have a curve f(x,y)= -3y/(x2 +y2 + 1)

I was asked to draw a level curve of this and I'm not getting anywhere with it. If anyone has any pointers, or can help me with solving this question I would be gretfull. The only other thing this question asks is to describe it at the orgin or at (0,3) ( which is steeper).

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Level curves are curves where the function is constant, and equals let's say to a number c.

So you get an equation

[tex]\frac{-3y}{x^{2}+y^{2}+1}=c[/tex]

Rearranging this gives you

[tex]cx^{2}+cy^{2}-3y=-c[/tex]
[tex]cx^{2}+cy^{2}-2c\frac{3}{2c}y=-c[/tex]
[tex]cx^{2}+cy^{2}-2c\frac{3}{2c}y+\frac{9}{4c^{2}}=\frac{9}{4c^{2}}-c[/tex]
[tex]cx^{2}+(cy-\frac{3}{2c})^{2}=\frac{9}{4c^{2}}-c[/tex]

Now you just have to investigate different values of c.

elibj123 said:
Level curves are curves where the function is constant, and equals let's say to a number c.

So you get an equation

[tex]\frac{-3y}{x^{2}+y^{2}+1}=c[/tex]

Rearranging this gives you

[tex]cx^{2}+cy^{2}-3y=-c[/tex]
[tex]cx^{2}+cy^{2}-2c\frac{3}{2c}y=-c[/tex]
[tex]cx^{2}+cy^{2}-2c\frac{3}{2c}y+\frac{9}{4c^{2}}=\frac{9}{4c^{2}}-c[/tex]
[tex]cx^{2}+(cy-\frac{3}{2c})^{2}=\frac{9}{4c^{2}}-c[/tex]
That should be [itex]c(y- 3/(2c))^2[/itex]. That is, that leading "c" should be outside the parentheses.

Now you just have to investigate different values of c.

1. What are level curves in drawing?

Level curves are the lines on a drawing that connect points that have the same elevation or height. They are used to represent changes in elevation or topography on a two-dimensional surface.

2. Why am I struggling with drawing level curves?

Drawing level curves can be challenging because it requires a good understanding of perspective, shading, and contour lines. It may also take time and practice to develop the necessary skills and techniques.

3. How can I improve my drawing of level curves?

Practice, practice, practice! Drawing level curves takes time and effort to master. Look at references, study different techniques, and experiment with different tools to find what works best for you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.

4. What are some tips for drawing level curves accurately?

One tip is to start with a light sketch of the overall shape before adding more detail. Pay attention to the direction and spacing of the curves, as well as the relationship between them. Also, remember to use shading to create depth and dimension in your drawing.

5. Are there any helpful resources for learning how to draw level curves?

Yes, there are many resources available such as books, online tutorials, and classes. You can also find inspiration and tips from other artists on social media platforms or by attending art workshops or events. Don't be afraid to reach out to experienced artists for guidance and advice.