Solving Equation: x² - 3x - 40 = 0

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
In summary, this equation can be solved by trial and error by trying different integers factors of 40 until you find two that add up to -3.
Gringo123
My Maths textbook gives the following equation:
x squared - 3x - 40 = 0

.. and it gives the following as a model answer: (where I've wriiten right or wrong there is a tick or a cross)

try 2 x 20x, 4 x 10x, 5 x 8 (right)
(x-5) (x + 8) (wrong)
(x+5) (x-8) (right)
x = -5 or 8

I have no idea what this method is and why it has been used here. Can anyone please expain it to me?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gringo123! :smile:

This is the rational root theorem

basically, if the roots are whole numbers, then they have to be factors of 40 (times ±1).

So first they tried ±2 and ±20 (by putting eg 2 into the equation to see if it comes out 0, as it should), then they tried ± 4 and ±10, then they tried ±5 and ±8 …

woohoo! it's -5 and 8 ! :biggrin:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_roots" [Broken] for more details. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gringo123 said:
My Maths textbook gives the following equation:
x squared - 3x - 40 = 0

.. and it gives the following as a model answer: (where I've wriiten right or wrong there is a tick or a cross)

try 2 x 20x, 4 x 10x, 5 x 8 (right)
(x-5) (x + 8) (wrong)
(x+5) (x-8) (right)
x = -5 or 8

I have no idea what this method is and why it has been used here. Can anyone please expain it to me?
Thanks
Essentially, they are using a "trial and error" method of factoring the left side. I presume the textbook has already show that (x+ a)(x+ b)= x2+ (a+b)x+ ab. In order that you have (x+a)(x+b)= x+ (a+b)x+ ab= x2- 3x- 40, you must have a+ b= -3 and ab= -40. So start looking for integers factors of 40: 1* 40, 2*20, 4*40, 5*8, 8*5, 10*4, 20*2, and 40*1. Since it doesn't matter which you call "a" and which "b", you don't need to look at "8*5, 10*4, 20*2, and 40*1", they are the same as "1* 40, 2*20, 4*40, and 5*8". I don't know why they did not include "1*40"- perhaps they thought that was too obviously wrong.

Since the product of two positive or two negative numbers is positive, in order to get ab= 40, one factor must be positive and the other negative. Now we check each of those to see if they add to -3: 1- 40= -39 not -3; 2- 20= -17, not -3; 4- 10= -6, not -3; 5- 8= -3. success!

Okay, we now know the numbers are a= 5, b= -8: check: (x+ 5)(x- 8)= x2+ (5-8)+ 5(-8)= x2- 3x- 40.
Now we know that x2- 3x- 40= (x+ 5)(x- 8)= 0. Since we also know that if the product of two numbers is 0, at least one of the numbers must be 0 (that is a special property of "0" and does not work if the product is any number except 0), we know that either x+ 5= 0 or x- 8= 0. From the first we see that x= -5 is a solution to the equation, from the other, we know that x= 8 is a solution.

By the way, it might happen that NONE of the integer factors of ab, the constant term in the polynomial, add to the coefficient of x. In that case, it cannot be factored with integer coefficients. Fortunately, for quadratic equations, there are other methods, such as "completing the square" or the "quadratic formula", to solve them.

1. What is the formula for solving this equation?

The formula for solving a quadratic equation in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0 is:
x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac))/2a

2. How do I know if this equation has real solutions?

To determine if the equation has real solutions, we need to calculate the discriminant (b² - 4ac).
If the discriminant is greater than 0, there are two real solutions.
If it is equal to 0, there is one real solution.
If it is less than 0, there are no real solutions.

3. Can I use any method to solve this equation?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving quadratic equations. The most commonly used methods are factoring, completing the square, and the quadratic formula. You can choose the method that you are most comfortable with or that is most appropriate for the equation.

4. What if the equation has fractions or decimals?

If the equation has fractions or decimals, you can use the same methods as you would for equations with whole numbers. However, it may be easier to solve the equation by multiplying both sides by a common denominator to eliminate the fractions or by moving the decimal point to make the number a whole number.

5. Is it possible to have no solution for this equation?

Yes, it is possible to have no solution for a quadratic equation. This happens when the discriminant is less than 0, meaning there are no real solutions. However, there may be complex solutions involving imaginary numbers. This is usually indicated by the √ symbol in the solution.