Can Repeated Bruising Lead to Long-Term Damage to Soft Tissue and Bones?

• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: if it's a recurrent bruise, it may be time to see a doctor. assuming it's not from someone gripping you on the arm, the biceps bruise could be from a muscle tear. if it's a recurrent bruise, it may be time to see a doctor.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Could there be any lasting effects from repeated bruising of the same area? I'm wondering about both soft tissue and bones.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is true. Bruising can cause blood cloths which can travel in the bloodstream and impair another part of the body.

lisab said:
Could there be any lasting effects from repeated bruising of the same area? I'm wondering about both soft tissue and bones.

Domestic abuse? Chronic athletic injury? The lasting effects might be due to the cause, rather than the effect...

berkeman said:
Domestic abuse? Chronic athletic injury? The lasting effects might be due to the cause, rather than the effect...

Martial arts :biggrin:.

lisab said:
Yeah, it makes you tougher, and with a higher motivation to leave similar patterns on the other's person face. :devil:

It would depend entirely on the severity and the location of the bruise. A bruise is caused by the breaking of small capillaries under the skin, causing seepage of blood into the tissue. The blood is broken down over time by phagocytes, causing the different colorations. With the bruising you cause trauma to the capillaries and there will be some apoptosis in the tissue during the clean-up process when the tissue is healing.

Repeated injury to the same location is never good, because it will cause stress to the tissue. Besides the bruising you should be aware that other structures might be damaged by the impact, such as ligaments and tendons. If you feel the bruising is really a problem, you should consider wearing some protective padding in the locations that you get hit often.

lisab said:
Martial arts :biggrin:.

where and why do you get bruised repeatedly, btw ?

DanP said:
where and why do you get bruised repeatedly, btw ?

The place that gets it the worst is my right shin bone, just under the knee. I've had 3 significant bruises there since I started 3 months ago. I think this happens during stand up sparring, as I tend to use my right leg to block kicks.

The other place is my left bicep. It also happens during sparring, but during the grappling, not stand up. It's a soft tissue bruise and I have no idea how I keep getting it.

I think Monique is right, I should wear protective pads (at least on my shins) until my technique improves.

lisab said:
The place that gets it the worst is my right shin bone, just under the knee. I've had 3 significant bruises there since I started 3 months ago. I think this happens during stand up sparring, as I tend to use my right leg to block kicks.

The other place is my left bicep. It also happens during sparring, but during the grappling, not stand up. It's a soft tissue bruise and I have no idea how I keep getting it.

I think Monique is right, I should wear protective pads (at least on my shins) until my technique improves.

Lisa, I don't think 3 bruises in 3 months are anything to worry about.

Check with your trainer and see if your low kick checking techniques are ok. Low kick work on heavy bag will in time condition your sheen pretty well, and youll become less sensitive, but it can take many months. Some strength work (squats in general) helps a lot with general condition of musculo-skeletal system and may be useful in improving bone density in leg bones, pretty useful for females.

You can wear sheen protection for stand up sparring, many ppl do it.

Congratulation for doing what you do, chicks who fancy fighting are sexy in my book.

DanP said:
Congratulation for doing what you do, chicks who fancy fighting are sexy in my book.

(Holy crap! Runs to find cover...)

lisab said:

assuming it's not from someone gripping you on the arm, the biceps bruise could be from a muscle tear.

1. What causes repeated bruising?

Repeated bruising is often caused by minor injuries or trauma to the skin, such as bumping into objects or participating in physical activities. It can also be a result of certain medical conditions, such as bleeding disorders or vitamin deficiencies.

2. How long does it take for repeated bruising to heal?

The healing time for repeated bruising depends on the severity of the bruise and the individual's healing process. Typically, it can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for a bruise to heal completely.

3. Can repeated bruising be a sign of a serious medical condition?

In some cases, repeated bruising can be a symptom of a more serious medical condition, such as a blood clotting disorder or anemia. It is important to consult a doctor if you experience frequent or unexplained bruising.

4. Is there anything I can do to prevent repeated bruising?

To prevent repeated bruising, it is important to take precautions and avoid activities that may cause injury. Wearing protective gear during physical activities can also help. Maintaining a healthy diet and taking supplements, if necessary, can also help prevent bruising.

5. Should I seek medical attention for repeated bruising?

If you experience frequent or unexplained bruising, it is important to consult a doctor. They can evaluate your symptoms and determine if further medical attention is needed. It is always better to be safe and seek professional advice.