Probability of 1st Arrival From Poisson Process of Rate $\lambda$

In summary, the problem is that summing the probabilities of two events not being exclusive results in an incorrect answer. One way to get the correct answer is to conditionalize on no events occurring from 0 to t, then integrating to get the result.
rsq_a
I did this question, but I'm unsure of my reasons behind it. I was hoping someone here could go through the problem for me.

Consider the sum of two independent Poisson processes of rates [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex]. Find the probability that the first arrival of the combined [itex](\lambda + \mu)[/itex] process comes from the process of rate [itex]\lambda[/itex]

I got the answer [tex]1/\lambda - 1/(\lambda + \mu)[/tex]. I did so by integrating,

[tex]\int_0^\infty P(\text{one event from } \lambda \text{ in }(0, t]) \times P(\text{zero event from } \mu \text{ in }(0, t]) \ dt [/tex]

Except I didn't have any good reason for integrating the whole thing except for the idea that I want to add up all the probabilities. Is this the way it's supposed to be done?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at your result, and consider mu -> 0, your result approaches 0, which is not correct. It should approach 1 in that case. When lambda -> 0 in your formula, the probability diverges towards infinity...

You can use the first formula here for all probabilities below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_process

I would calculate it like this:

[tex]
P = \int_0^\infty dP(t)
[/tex]

where dP(t) = P1*P2*P2 is a conditional probability:

P1 = prob. that the lambda-process increases by one in the interval [t,t+dt]
P2 = prob. that the lambda process is 0 at time t
P3 = prob. that mu-process is zero at time t+dt.

The three contributions are independent, so their probabilities can simply be multiplied. The contribution to the total probability represent different events, so they can be summed.

The end result I get I get is different from your, and in the limit lambda -> infty or mu->0 I get 1. In the limit lambda -> 0 (where mu \neq 0) I get 0. These limits are quite sensible. Also, my result is always in [0,1] independent of the values of lambda and mu, as long as they are bth positive.

I first started to fool around with a stopping time, but it seems to be unnecessary.

Torquil

Last edited:
Torquil,

I believed I did it correctly this time. It would be very helpful if you could write out for me your solution method. I'm a bit new to probability, so little differences in notation and approaches are confusing to me.

The problem with what I did before was that I was summing,

[tex]\sum_t P(N_\lambda(0,t+\Delta t] = 1, N_\mu(0,t+\Delta t] = 0)[/tex]

where N denotes the number of arrivals from each distribution. This is incorrect because the different events (over all t) are not disjoint. The correct way to proceed is to make things conditional on no events occurring from 0 to t. Like so...

[tex]\sum_t P(N_\lambda(0,t] = 0, N_\lambda(t,t+\dDelta t] = 1, N_\mu(0,t+\Delta t] = 0)[/tex]

After this, taking [itex]\Delta t \to 0[/itex] and integrating gives me [itex]\lambda/(\lambda + \mu)[/itex], which seems to make more sense.

Even if your solution is similar, it would help me a lot if you could post it. Thanks!

rsq_a said:
Torquil,

I believed I did it correctly this time. It would be very helpful if you could write out for me your solution method. I'm a bit new to probability, so little differences in notation and approaches are confusing to me.

The problem with what I did before was that I was summing,

[tex]\sum_t P(N_\lambda(0,t+\Delta t] = 1, N_\mu(0,t+\Delta t] = 0)[/tex]

where N denotes the number of arrivals from each distribution. This is incorrect because the different events (over all t) are not disjoint. The correct way to proceed is to make things conditional on no events occurring from 0 to t. Like so...

[tex]\sum_t P(N_\lambda(0,t] = 0, N_\lambda(t,t+\dDelta t] = 1, N_\mu(0,t+\Delta t] = 0)[/tex]

After this, taking [itex]\Delta t \to 0[/itex] and integrating gives me [itex]\lambda/(\lambda + \mu)[/itex], which seems to make more sense.

That is the same result that I got.

Even if your solution is similar, it would help me a lot if you could post it. Thanks!

For my P1, P2, P3 above, I used (from the wikipedia formula):

P1 = lambda*dt*exp(-lambda*dt)
P2 = exp(-lambda*t)
P3 = exp(-mu*(t+dt))

Multiplying them together, expanding to first order in dt, then putting it into the integral, I get

\int_0^infinity exp(-(lambda+mu)t) lambda dt = lambda/(lambda+mu)

Torquil

torquil said:
That is the same result that I got.
For my P1, P2, P3 above, I used (from the wikipedia formula):

P1 = lambda*dt*exp(-lambda*dt)
P2 = exp(-lambda*t)
P3 = exp(-mu*(t+dt))

Multiplying them together, expanding to first order in dt, then putting it into the integral, I get

\int_0^infinity exp(-(lambda+mu)t) lambda dt = lambda/(lambda+mu)

Torquil

Yes, this was exactly what I had done.

Is there a way to do this without the use of infinitesimals? That is, is there a way to do the problem, only using the fact that we know,

[tex]P(N_\lambda(0,t] = k) = \frac{e^{-\lambda t} (\lambda t)^k}{k!}[/tex]

I realize the two definitions of the Poisson Process are equivalent, but an alternative route using this definition would clear things up for me.

1. What is a Poisson process and how does it relate to arrival time?

A Poisson process is a mathematical model used to describe the occurrence of events over a continuous time interval. In the context of arrival time, a Poisson process can be used to model the probability of an event (such as a customer arriving at a store) occurring within a given time interval.

2. What does the "rate" parameter (λ) represent in a Poisson process?

The "rate" parameter, represented by λ, is the average number of events that occur in a given time interval. For example, if λ = 5 arrivals per hour, then we can expect an average of 5 arrivals within a one hour time period.

3. How is the probability of 1st arrival calculated from a Poisson process?

The probability of 1st arrival from a Poisson process is calculated using the formula P(N(t) = 1) = λt * e^(-λt), where N(t) represents the number of arrivals within a time interval t, and e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

4. Can the probability of 1st arrival from a Poisson process be greater than 1?

No, the probability of 1st arrival from a Poisson process can never be greater than 1. This is because the probability of an event occurring cannot exceed 100%.

5. How is the Poisson process used in real-life applications?

The Poisson process is commonly used in fields such as queuing theory, telecommunications, and finance to model the arrival of events and calculate probabilities. For example, it can be used to predict the number of customers arriving at a store within a given time period, or the number of phone calls received by a call center in a day.