Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken

In summary, the conversation is about the poster needing help finding online sources for studying the first chapter of their textbook, which covers topics such as vectors, coordinate transformations, and series. The person suggests using Wikipedia and mentions that the material can also be found in calculus and linear algebra courses. They also recommend specific books for each topic.
physiker99
I don't know where to post this message, excuse me.

I am taking the course "Matmematical Methods for Physicists." And my textbook is by Arfken. I wonder anyone here knows online sources that I might benefit for studying. I am in lack for good sources please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey physiker99:

Wikipedia.

Seriously though, Arfken covers so much material you will never do all of it in a single class. Which topics in particular?

first chapter of vectors, coordinate transformations and series (taylor, convergence tests) would suffice for now. It's a 2-semester course, I'm taking the first one.

This material is essentially contained in most calculus and linear algebra courses.

For an introductory treatment of Taylor series check out Stewart's Calculus book. For an introductory treatment of vectors and coordinate transformations, check out any introduction to linear algebra book (e.g. Lay's Introduction to Linear Algebra), you can also find a treatment of vectors and coordinate transformations in Stewart's but it's somewhat less complete.

What is the purpose of "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken"?

The purpose of "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" is to provide a comprehensive guide to the mathematical tools and techniques commonly used in physics. It covers topics such as vector analysis, complex analysis, and differential equations, all of which are essential for understanding and solving problems in physics.

Is "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" suitable for beginners?

No, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" is not suitable for beginners. It assumes a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra. It is intended for upper-level undergraduate and graduate students in physics, engineering, and related fields.

What sets "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" apart from other textbooks on the same subject?

One of the key strengths of "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" is its extensive coverage of topics. It not only covers the standard mathematical methods used in physics, but also includes more advanced topics such as group theory and tensor analysis. Additionally, it provides numerous examples and exercises to reinforce the concepts and techniques discussed.

Is "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" a good reference for researchers in physics?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" is a valuable reference for researchers in physics. It contains a wealth of information and techniques that are commonly used in theoretical and experimental physics. It also includes a chapter on numerical methods, which is particularly useful for researchers working with computational models.

Can "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" be used as a self-study guide?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken" can be used as a self-study guide. It is written in a clear and accessible style, with plenty of examples and exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts. However, it is still recommended to have some background knowledge in mathematics and physics before using it for self-study.