Which is Correct? (delta p) (delta x) >= hbar or hbar/2?

• Thread starter greatscott
  • Start date
In summary, the uncertainty principle states that for any two observables, the product of their standard deviations must be greater than or equal to half of the reduced Planck constant. This holds true for any state, but becomes an equality when the state has the same "shape" in position and momentum space, such as in the case of the harmonic oscillator in its ground state. This principle is derived from the Schwarz inequality, and can be seen in the Gaussian functions that appear in the solution to the harmonic oscillator.
greatscott
hbar or hbar/2??

Regarding the uncertainty principle, some books say

(delta p) (delta x) >= hbar

and others say

(delta p) (delta x) >= hbar/2.

Which is right? This matters because I get different results when I
let p x=hbar(or hbar/2), plug into the expression for energy, and
minimize it to get the ground state energy of the system.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh... unless exact definitions are given for those deltas, the statement of the Uncertainty Principle should be taken as an order-of-magnitude estimate only. I believe that when one employs standard deviations, which is the correct way to go about it, the answer is hbar/2.

zefram_c said:
Sigh... unless exact definitions are given for those deltas, the statement of the Uncertainty Principle should be taken as an order-of-magnitude estimate only. I believe that when one employs standard deviations, which is the correct way to go about it, the answer is hbar/2.

zefram is correct

Cohen-Tannoudji's "Quantum mechanics" writes the HUP as [tex]\Delta[/tex]x[tex]\Delta[/tex]p(>~)hbar
Hameka's "Quantum mechanics" as [tex]\Delta[/tex]x[tex]\Delta[/tex]p>hbar

Last edited:
There is a simple way to settle the issue. The inequality becomes equality for the SHO in its ground state. So if anyone wants to calculate the the standard deviations [itex]\sigma_x=\sqrt{ <x^2>-(<x>)^2} [/itex] and similar for p, then multiply them out, we have the answer. Actually it's easy:
[tex]<x>=<p>=0 \; so \; \sigma_x \sigma_p = \sqrt { <x^2> <p^2> } [/tex]

By the virial theorem:
[tex] \frac{<p^2>}{2m} = \frac{1}{2} k<x^2> = \frac{E_0}{2} = \frac{\hbar \omega(0+1/2)}{2} [/tex]

[tex] <p^2>=\frac{m \hbar \omega}{2}, <x^2>=\frac{\hbar \omega}{2k} [/tex]

[tex]\sigma_x \sigma_p = \frac{\hbar}{2} \sqrt {\frac{m \omega ^2}{k}} \; but \; \omega^2 = k/m [/tex]

Hence [tex] \sigma_x \sigma_p = \hbar /2 [/tex] is the final answer. Note to self: learn Latex. It took me far longer to compose this than to actually solve the problem.

...is the final answer
That is how the HUP appears in Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum mechanics"

Last edited:
zefram_c said:
It took me far longer to compose this than to actually solve the problem.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe not appearing in your derivation is the fact that the equality holds when the wavefunction has the same "shape" in postion and momentum variables. That is, when the Fourier transform of the wavefunction is analogous to the initial wavefunction : in the gaussian case, which applies to Harm. Oscill. you used.

Maybe I'll give a try to latex too... :wink: :tongue2:

OK, the all story is simple : the Heisenberg undeterminacy principle simply follows from the Schwarz inequality. Let us see how. Consider a state [tex]\psi[/tex] and two observables [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{B}[/tex].
Now the standard deviation is given by :
[tex]
( \Delta a )^2 = \langle \psi|(\hat{A} - \langle a\rangle )^2 |\psi\rangle = \langle (a - \langle a\rangle )^2 \rangle
[/tex]
This seems natural. Why bother an overall factor at this stage ?
Let [tex] \hat{A'} = \hat{A} - \langle a\rangle[/tex]
Then [tex] ( {\Delta}a )^2 = \langle\psi|\hat{A'}^2|\psi\rangle [/tex]
Likewise for [tex]\hat{B}[/tex] one gets
[tex] ( {\Delta}b )^2 = \langle\psi|\hat{B'}^2|\psi\rangle [/tex]

Now the real argument : Schwarz inequality. I redemonstrate.
Consider the norm of the vector
[tex](\hat{A'} + i\lambda \hat{B'} )|\psi\rangle[/tex]
This vector has positive norm :
[tex]
\langle\psi|(\hat{A'} - i\lambda \hat{B'} )(\hat{A'} + i\lambda \hat{B'} )|\psi\rangle\geq 0
[/tex]
From this follows simply :
[tex]
(\Delta a)^2 + \lambda^2 (\Delta b)^2 + i \lambda \langle \psi |[\hat{A'},\hat{B'}]|\psi\rangle\geq 0
[/tex]

As you can see, a 2nd order polynomial in [tex]\lambda[/tex] which is always positive will lead to :
[tex]
(\Delta a)(\Delta b) \geq \frac{1}{2}\langle \psi |[\hat{A},\hat{B}]|\psi\rangle
[/tex]
and I did not bother about the primes, since the commutators are equal :
[tex]
[\hat{A},\hat{B}]=[\hat{A'},\hat{B'}]
[/tex]
This is the general way of deriving the [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] factor.
[tex][\hat{A}-\langle \hat{A}\rangle+i\lambda_0(\hat{B}-\langle \hat{B}\rangle)]|\psi\rangle = 0[/tex]
Therefore, the condition for the inequality to become an equality is that the vectors [tex][\hat{A}-\langle \hat{A}\rangle]|\psi\rangle = 0[/tex] and [tex][\hat{B}-\langle \hat{B}\rangle]|\psi\rangle = 0[/tex] be proportional to each other (linearly dependent).
Let us take [tex]\hat{A}=\hat{x}[/tex] (position) and

[tex]\hat{B}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\widehat{\frac{d}{dx}}[/tex]
We collect the equation :
[tex]
\left[ x + \hbar\lambda_0\frac{d}{dx} -\langle \hat{A}\rangle - i \lambda_0 \langle \hat{B} \rangle \right] \psi(x)
[/tex]
with [tex]\langle\hat{x}|\psi\rangle[/tex].
We furthermore eliminate mean values :
[tex]
\psi(x) = e^{i\langle\hat{B}\rangle x/\hbar}\phi(x- {\langle \hat{A}\rangle} )
[/tex]
in order to get :
[tex]\left[ x + \lambda_0\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\right]\phi(x)=0[/tex]
whose solution is :
[tex]\phi(x) = C e^{-x^2/2\lambda_0\hbar}[/tex]
C is an arbitrary compex constant.
Finally :
[tex]\psi(x) = \left[2\pi(\Delta x)^2\right]^{-\frac{1}{4}}e^{i\langle p\rangle x/\hbar}e{-\left[ \frac{x-\langle x\rangle}{2\Delta x} \right]^2}[/tex]
We note that the same lines can be carried out in the momentum representation, where one gets :
[tex]\bar\psi(p) = \left[2\pi(\Delta p)^2\right]^{-\frac{1}{4}}e^{i\langle x\rangle p/\hbar}e{-\left[ \frac{p-\langle p\rangle}{2\Delta p} \right]^2}[/tex]
credit : Jean-Louis Basdevant "Mecanique quantique, cours de l'X"

Last edited:

1. What is the context of the equation "delta p (delta x) >= hbar or hbar/2" in physics?

The equation "delta p (delta x) >= hbar or hbar/2" is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

2. What is the significance of hbar in the equation?

hbar (ħ) is the reduced Planck's constant and is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics. It relates the energy of a particle to its frequency and is used to quantize physical quantities such as angular momentum and spin.

3. Why is there a greater than or equal to sign in the equation?

The greater than or equal to sign represents the uncertainty or range of values in the measurement of either the position or momentum of a particle. This means that the product of the uncertainties in both quantities must be greater than or equal to the value of hbar or hbar/2.

4. Is there a difference between hbar and hbar/2 in the equation?

Yes, there is a difference between hbar and hbar/2 in the equation. The values of hbar and hbar/2 are related by a factor of 2, but they represent different levels of uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's position and momentum. Hbar/2 represents a more precise measurement, while hbar allows for a larger range of values.

5. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle affect our understanding of the behavior of particles?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle highlights the limitations of our ability to measure certain properties of particles. It suggests that at a fundamental level, the behavior of particles is inherently unpredictable and uncertain, and we can only describe them in terms of probabilities. This principle has significant implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality.