Efficiently Integrate Your Homework Statement with These Tips - Expert Solutions

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the author is trying to solve an improper integral for x=-4 but is having trouble because x=-4 is outside the domain of the function.
temaire
Homework Statement
ixw7ie.jpg

3The attempt at a solution

5d3wbr.jpg

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, it looks fine to me.

Do I need to show that I'm approaching 4 from the right?

temaire said:
Do I need to show that I'm approaching 4 from the right?

I would say you are approaching 4 from the left. t<4, correct? Why would you want to approach from the right?

Dick said:
I would say you are approaching 4 from the left. t<4, correct? Why would you want to approach from the right?

Because if I were approaching ln|x-4| from the right, the graph goes to -∞. How could you approach it from the left?

Or am I supposed to approach the original graph of 1/(x^2 -3x -4) from the left?

The problem with your integral is at x=4. To resolve it as an improper integral you want to integrate from x=0 to x=4-epsilon where epsilon>0. That means you are approaching the upper limit from the left. You don't care what the limit is from the right.

Dick said:
The problem with your integral is at x=4. To resolve it as an improper integral you want to integrate from x=0 to x=4-epsilon where epsilon>0. That means you are approaching the upper limit from the left. You don't care what the limit is from the right.

So even though the limit is approaching 4 from the left at ln|x-4|, we're infact evaluating the limit as it approaches 4 from the left of 1/(x^2-3x-4)?

temaire said:
So even though the limit is approaching 4 from the left at ln|x-4|, we're infact evaluating the limit as it approaches 4 from the left of 1/(x^2-3x-4)?

Now you are just confusing me. You are approaching x=4 from the left. Period. Approaching ln|x-4| from the left gives you the behavior of the integral of 1/(x^2-3x-4) on the interval [0,4].

This is what I was confused about.

66mc28.jpg

In the graph above, you can approach 4 from the right but not from the left.

It's an absolute value, temaire. |x-4|. Doesn't that mean anything to you? :)

Oh, so this is the graph. (x is from 3 to 5)

11maiqc.jpg

I understand now.

You've got it.

1. How can I integrate my homework statement efficiently?

There are a few key tips to integrating your homework statement efficiently. First, make sure to read and understand the instructions carefully. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Utilize any resources provided, such as lecture notes or textbooks, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. Finally, double check your work and make any necessary edits before submitting.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating a homework statement?

One common mistake is not checking the instructions carefully. Make sure you are following any specific formatting or submission guidelines. Another mistake is rushing through the problem without fully understanding it. Take your time and break the problem down into smaller steps. Finally, avoid copying and pasting from online sources as this can lead to plagiarism.

3. How can I efficiently use my time when integrating a homework statement?

One way to efficiently use your time is to set a schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your tasks and make sure to allocate enough time to complete each one. Also, try to eliminate distractions and find a quiet, dedicated workspace. This will help you stay focused and make the most of your time.

4. Are there any tools or resources that can help me integrate my homework statement efficiently?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help you integrate your homework statement efficiently. These can include online tutorials, study groups, and virtual office hours with your professor. Additionally, there are various software programs and apps that can assist with organization and time management.

5. How can I make sure I am integrating my homework statement accurately?

One way to ensure accuracy is to double check your work. This can include reviewing your calculations, checking for any errors or typos, and comparing your answer to the given solution. It can also be helpful to have a peer or tutor review your work for any mistakes you may have missed.