Does torque reduce/increase through gears?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the torque at the main shaft of a wind turbine with a certain gear ratio and power output. Both posters agree that power is constant throughout the drivetrain, and the formula P = T * omega is used to calculate the torque. The final answer is 1.14 MNm.
PaulMa
Hi guys,

Great forum. I'm a frequent reader and first time poster.

I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting my head around something I have been researching.

If you have a wind turbine that is powered by wind (obviously) and causes the rotor with blades to spin at a constant 16.7rpm (which in turn turns the shaft), which is directly connected to a gear.

The gear is then connected to another gear and they have a 1:100.5 ratio. The power output is then 2MW (with the final shaft spinning at around 1680rpm).

How would you calculate the torque at the main shaft where the rotor is?

I came to this value, but I have no idea whether it's correct or not. It just seems like a lot for something that's only initially turning at 16.7rpm (by virtue of around 18m/s of wind).

Code:
Torque [Nm] = ( 9549 * Power [kW] ) / rpm

T = ( 9549 * 2000 ) / 1680 = 11367.86Nm

Then I multiplied 11367.86 * 100.5 (gear ratio) = 1.142MN

Any help would be appreciate to preserve my sanity!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dear PaulMa

The key is to remember that power is constant throughout the drive train. Keeping this in mind together with the formula:

P = T * omega

shows you that when the power remains constant and the speed decreases, as is the case with the rotor of the wind turbine, then torque will increase.

As for your calculation, everything is correct. I checked from the point of view that the two gears are in equilibrium and this is where you can see that the torque increases through gear sets.

Regards
Janik Bessinger

Like janik.mech said, power is constant throughout the drivetrain, so it is much simpler to do:

T = ( 9549 * 2000 ) / 16.7 = 1.14 X 106 Nm = 1.14 MNm

1. Does torque increase or decrease as you shift through gears?

As you shift through gears, the torque does not increase or decrease. Torque is a measurement of the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate, and it is determined by the size of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. Shifting gears changes the ratio of the engine's rotational speed to the rotational speed of the wheels, but the torque remains the same.

2. How does changing gears affect torque?

Changing gears does not directly affect torque. However, it can indirectly affect the torque by changing the mechanical advantage of the transmission. Lower gears provide more torque at the expense of speed, while higher gears provide less torque but allow for greater speed.

3. Will using a lower gear increase torque?

Using a lower gear will not increase torque, but it will provide more torque at the wheels. This is because the lower gear allows the engine to rotate at a higher speed, increasing the mechanical advantage and providing more torque at the wheels.

4. Why is torque important in gears?

Torque is important in gears because it is the force that is responsible for rotating the gears and transferring power from the engine to the wheels. Without torque, the gears would not be able to turn and the vehicle would not move.

5. How does torque affect acceleration in gears?

Torque directly affects acceleration in gears. In lower gears, the engine is able to provide more torque to the wheels, resulting in faster acceleration. In higher gears, the engine has less torque but can achieve greater speed. This is why vehicles typically start in lower gears for better acceleration and then shift to higher gears for cruising at higher speeds.