Calculate Number of Solute Molecules in 30mM Solution in 100nm Sphere

In summary, the conversation is about determining the number of solute molecules in a spherical volume of 100nm with a solution of 30mM. The formula used is C = N/(N_A*V) where C represents concentration, N is the number of solute particles, N_A is Avogadro's number, and V is the volume. The experts initially got different numbers but ultimately arrived at around 75000 molecules as the correct answer.
towerette
Suppose i have a spherical volume of 100nm with a solution 30mM.
How many solute molecules it corresponds to?

My answer is about 6400...is that correct?
im just not sure i did some conversion correctly...

Thanks
Alfio

Physics news on Phys.org
100nm is what? Radius? Diameter?

6400 of what?

--

Sorry for not being clear, 100nm is the radius.
N = 6400 is the number of solute particles I get
from the formula c = N/(N_A*V), just wanted to know
if its right.
c = 30mM

Thanks.
Alfio

Formula is OK, but I got different number. Not necesarilly correctly.

--
methods

I did the calculation again, i got around 75000 molecules, right?
Well..it seems I'm playing dices...

Alfio

That's what I got as well.

--

1. How do you calculate the number of solute molecules in a 30mM solution in a 100nm sphere?

The number of solute molecules in a solution can be calculated using the following formula: number of molecules = concentration (mM) x volume (L) x Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23 molecules/mol). In this case, the volume of the sphere can be calculated using the formula for the volume of a sphere: V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere (50nm). Therefore, the number of solute molecules in a 30mM solution in a 100nm sphere would be: (30 x 10^-3 mM) x ((4/3)π(50nm)^3) x (6.022 x 10^23 molecules/mol) = 1.51 x 10^9 molecules.

2. How does the concentration of the solution affect the number of solute molecules in a 100nm sphere?

The concentration of the solution directly affects the number of solute molecules present in a 100nm sphere. As the concentration increases, the number of solute molecules also increases, assuming the volume of the sphere remains constant. This is because the concentration is a measure of the amount of solute dissolved in a given volume of solution.

3. Is the size of the sphere a factor in calculating the number of solute molecules in a solution?

Yes, the size of the sphere is an important factor in calculating the number of solute molecules in a solution. The volume of the sphere affects the overall volume of the solution, which is used in the formula to calculate the number of solute molecules. A larger sphere will have a larger volume, resulting in a higher number of solute molecules compared to a smaller sphere with the same concentration of solute.

4. How does Avogadro's number play a role in calculating the number of solute molecules in a 100nm sphere?

Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23 molecules/mol) is a constant that represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. In this case, it is used to convert the concentration (mM) into the number of solute molecules present in the solution. Without Avogadro's number, it would not be possible to accurately calculate the number of solute molecules in a solution.

5. Can this calculation be used for any type of solute and solvent combination?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of solute and solvent combination as long as the concentration and volume of the solution are known. However, it is important to note that the size of the solute molecules and the interactions between the solute and solvent may affect the accuracy of the calculation.