What materials should I get for studying physics?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on materials to help them with their studies in physics. A 3rd year physics major recommends the Feynman Lectures on Physics for a comprehensive understanding of the subject. They also suggest reading books from the library, particularly on calculus and differential equations, to better prepare for advanced concepts in physics.
timothycjvs
Hi I'm beginning to take physics a little more serious than ever and starting with maths. just want to know if there is any advice on what materials to get for my long studies?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm going to be a 3rd year physics major this coming fall. I've found the Feynman Lectures on Physics to be nothing short of amazing. They present anything you could ever want to know or learn in a physics classroom in a very easy-to-understand format. They're expensive, if I remember right, so it's not something you should buy if physics is a passing fancy.

Other than that, go to the library and find and read whatever books interest you. Read up on calculus too, specifical differential equations and vector calculus. Knowing at least the basics of these will help massively when your teacher starts throwing up equations and proofs with little explanation.

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It aims to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the natural world.

What are the basic concepts of physics?

The basic concepts of physics include motion, forces, energy, matter, and interactions between them. These concepts are used to explain and predict the behavior of objects and systems in the natural world.

What math skills are needed for beginning physics courses?

Basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry are essential for understanding and solving problems in beginning physics courses. Some courses may also require knowledge of calculus for more advanced topics.

What are the common topics covered in beginning physics courses?

Some common topics covered in beginning physics courses include mechanics (motion and forces), thermodynamics (heat and energy), electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics (quantum mechanics and relativity).

What are some tips for succeeding in beginning physics courses?

Some tips for succeeding in beginning physics courses include staying organized, attending lectures and taking notes, practicing problem-solving regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors, and actively participating in class discussions and activities.