Where is the center of the universe?

In summary, the center of the beginning of inflation is not located, and looking in the right direction would require looking towards the center of the universe, which is impossible due to the expansion of the universe.
Ok. How this big bang originated. I want a logical answer involving the 'physics' what you know.

Space news on Phys.org
bmehmud said:
Ok. How this big bang originated. I want a logical answer involving the 'physics' what you know.

We don't know. Just like we don't know how to make Fusion power work. Or any of a thousand things we know that we don't know.
We CAN say that the universe was once in a very hot very dense state and expanded outward from there. We can extrapolate back in time to a point very close to where the big bang is theorized to have occurred at, but beyond that we cannot say as our model breaks down.

That is not a logical answer not physically proved. You are saying that universe 'WAS' once very hot dense state or we may say 'singularity' BUT from where does the singularity came from? who created the 'singularity' and how this 'singularity' got infinite density? what is density by the way? who created the matter? when the matter was created? giving the accurate calculation time of creation of matter? what is time by the ways? who created the time, space, matter and after all the 'physics' and its principals as we say AND the mother of all questions "How this all is created by itself"?

bmehmud said:
That is not a logical answer not physically proved. You are saying that universe 'WAS' once very hot dense state or we may say 'singularity' BUT from where does the singularity came from? who created the 'singularity' and how this 'singularity' got infinite density? what is density by the way? who created the matter? when the matter was created? giving the accurate calculation time of creation of matter? what is time by the ways? who created the time, space, matter and after all the 'physics' and its principals as we say AND the mother of all questions "How this all is created by itself"?

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING ... as drakkith pointed out, we don't know. Get over it.

bmehmud said:
That is not a logical answer not physically proved.

I already answered your question on the origin of the universe. We do not know. The state of the early universe is a much different story. Our current model describes it very well. It is both logical and proven according to current observations. It would be illogical to disregard simply because you don't want to believe it or don't know anything about it.

Drakkith said:
I already answered your question on the origin of the universe. We do not know. The state of the early universe is a much different story. Our current model describes it very well. It is both logical and proven according to current observations. It would be illogical to disregard simply because you don't want to believe it or don't know anything about it.

Yes I am listening that is why I asked the question. Simply quoting "We do not know" is proving my point here. I want to believe if I get a logical answer. If you do not want to answer is another point. Thank you guys.

bmehmud said:
If you do not want to answer is another point.

This seems beligerantly redundant, no offense. If your point in the first place was to prove that physics isn't sure about what created the universe, your point was proven already, (by physics).

You asked a question, you got an answer, and frankly, that answer IS backed by all the physics we know. It may not be the answer you want per sae. Hell, I hated finding out that distant galaxies are receding FTL, meaning we, in our current state of progress, will NEVER see those galaxies up close and as they are now, not as they were 47 billion years ago or however long it took for the light to reach us.

We observe the universe as is, (it's expanding, use whatever term you want), and when you reverse that whole aspect, you end up with everything closer together. Singularities don't make any sense, that is why people will tell you they just don't know. Best guesses based on today's understanding is that yes, we were once more compact, and something made us start to be less compact. Dark Force? The great turtle holding us all up on his shell farting after eating some bad cabbage?

I can make up something more creative that is logical and deals with physics, but it's no closer to the truth than the singularity. That is just the result of extrapolating what we know of the universe back as far as it goes. And typically, in physics, a singularity means we don't quite know what happens, because our math breaks down.

bmehmud said:
from where does the singularity came from? who created the 'singularity' and how this 'singularity' got infinite density? what is density by the way? who created the matter? when the matter was created? giving the accurate calculation time of creation of matter? what is time by the ways? who created the time, space, matter and after all the 'physics' and its principals as we say AND the mother of all questions "How this all is created by itself"?

bmehmud said:
Simply quoting "We do not know" is proving my point here. I want to believe if I get a logical answer.
You clearly don't have a point other than "God did it", which of course is unscientific garbage. It's certainly not implied by the things we know. The "big bang" is a feature of a few different theories of space, time, matter and motion. None of those theories make any claims whatsoever about what, or who, created those things in the first place. They don't even involve the concept of creation in any way. There are no theories of creation.

bmehmud said:
Yes I am listening that is why I asked the question. Simply quoting "We do not know" is proving my point here. I want to believe if I get a logical answer. If you do not want to answer is another point. Thank you guys.

saying that we don't know doesn't prove anything other than the fact that we don't know. Someone saying that they do know how the universe was created doesn't prove anything other than that they are saying that they know how the universe was created. Nothing can be proved in this situation because there is no data about it.

Ok maybe this is just too much for me to understand. I try to look at everything in its simplest form. If you were able to travel beyond the limits of the universe (if there is such a thing) and look back on it would it not have a geometric shape? If so, wouldn't that shape have a center point? Whether or not it is expanding or contracting it still has a shape. Unless you know the physical dimensions you can't calculate it but it still has to have one. It's my uneducated opinion that one day we will gain enough knowledge about the physical universe that all the knowledge we have now will seem like stone age nonsense. I appeal to all you free thinkers out there. Don't let the so called scientific authorities tell you that your ideas are wrong or impossible. The Earth is not really flat!

Genx63 said:
Ok maybe this is just too much for me to understand. I try to look at everything in its simplest form. If you were able to travel beyond the limits of the universe (if there is such a thing) and look back on it would it not have a geometric shape? If so, wouldn't that shape have a center point? Whether or not it is expanding or contracting it still has a shape. Unless you know the physical dimensions you can't calculate it but it still has to have one. It's my uneducated opinion that one day we will gain enough knowledge about the physical universe that all the knowledge we have now will seem like stone age nonsense. I appeal to all you free thinkers out there. Don't let the so called scientific authorities tell you that your ideas are wrong or impossible. The Earth is not really flat!

Did you take a look at my links to the hyperspheres?

Just in case you didn't, just google Hyperspheres and you can see how you can move around through one without seeing a center.

The universe is all-encompassing, there really is no "going beyond the limits to get a look at the over all shape" since going beyond any limit would still put you inside the universe, since the universe is everything. Just like the one dimensional being analogy. If you lived on the outside of a 2 dimensional circle, you could only move forward or back. You wouldn't even know there is a center, because you would have to be 2 dimensional to see the circle at all. So with that in mind, where is the center of a circle when you only live on the edge, only able to go forward and back?

Last edited:
Genx63 said:
And yet you're suggesting that people should rely on their intuition even though science has proved that many of the things we intuitively "know" to be true are actually false.

Genx63 said:
Ok maybe this is just too much for me to understand. I try to look at everything in its simplest form. If you were able to travel beyond the limits of the universe (if there is such a thing) and look back on it would it not have a geometric shape?

Well, whether it is too much for you to understand or not, it is reality to the best of anyone's ability to figure it out. There IS no edge or outside, so the rest of your post is not meaningful

What everyone here means is that it is simply a waste of time to talk about anything "outside" the universe because even if there is an outside to the universe we cannot see it, interact with it, or anything else. It is absolutely unscientific to try to develop theories based on the "outside view" of the universe, no matter how much they may make sense to us or not. This is akin to trying to explain gravity being caused by fairies that we can't see or interact with in any way pulling everyone down to the ground. The end effect is the same; we are attracted to the Earth. Yet a theory that remains based on observations and math is far better than one based on fairies, as the former requires us to make up far few things. The simplest answer is *usually* the best.

Genx63 said:
If you were able to travel beyond the limits of the universe (if there is such a thing) and look back on it would it not have a geometric shape?
Can something without a surface have a shape? Strange.

So what I understand is that anything beyond physical laws is not to be studied or should not be studied? Say we try to study the creation process instead what is already created, God has a physical presence or not? I think there is a study of things we can not prove by physics.

bmehmud said:
So what I understand is that anything beyond physical laws is not to be studied or should not be studied? Say we try to study the creation process instead what is already created, God has a physical presence or not? I think there is a study of things we can not prove by physics.

No, the point is that anything beyond physical laws CANNOT be studied. It isn't possible. To study something requires that we be able to interact with it. Things that are beyond that aren't capable of being studied. That's why we don't even try. How would we be able to prove anything? Who's to say which models are right and which models are wrong without any evidence?

bmehmud said:
Science is about coming up with theories and finding out how accurate their predictions are, and something that can't be used to make predictions about results of experiments is not a theory. Statements like "there's a god" or "the universe was created" aren't theories. They're just garbage.

Edit: If I had seen Drakkith's post before I wrote this, I probably wouldn't have replied. I totally agree with what he said.

This is a discussion of first principles, which by defintion, is unprovable.

bmehmud said:
I think there is a study of things we can not prove by physics.

If you wish. But NOT on this forum. You misunderstand the purpose of this forum. Read the rules.

phinds said:
If you wish. But NOT on this forum. You misunderstand the purpose of this forum. Read the rules.

Knowledge is knowledge whether it relates to physics, science, biology, or eschatology. We as a human have critical minds, we have eager to acquire knowledge whether through books or internet. I will keep asking questions and appreciate if worthy people like you reply my stupid questions. Cheers.

Chronos said:
This is a discussion of first principles, which by defintion, is unprovable.
Good point. All the evidence in the world cannot prove anything. All the fossils on Earth cannot prove evolution, and all the global warming cannot prove man-made global warming. People have been testing relativity for 100+ years and never give up hope. Ignorance is not stupidity. Ignorance is all about ignoring the evidence. I guess hope springs eternal against all odds.

Last edited:
You guys are misunderstanding.
bmehmud said:
Knowledge is knowledge whether it relates to physics, science, biology, or eschatology. We as a human have critical minds, we have eager to acquire knowledge whether through books or internet. I will keep asking questions and appreciate if worthy people like you reply my stupid questions. Cheers.
There is knowledge and there is speculation. We can only have knowledge about things for which we can verify with evidence.

ynot1 said:
Good point. All the evidence in the world cannot prove anything. All the fossils on Earth cannot prove evolution, and all the global warming cannot prove man-made global warming. People have been testing relativity for 100+ years and never give up hope. Ignorance is not stupidity. Ignorance is all about ignoring the evidence. I guess hope springs eternal against all odds.
Yes. Science is not about proving theories. It is about forming predictive models. We have evidence that our models of evolution, global warming and relativity are accurate. We have no evidence of what preceded the BB.

Thread locked pending moderation.

<h2>1. Where is the center of the universe?</h2><p>The concept of a single, stationary center of the universe is a common misconception. In reality, the universe does not have a center as it is constantly expanding in all directions.</p><h2>2. Can we determine the center of the universe?</h2><p>No, we cannot determine the center of the universe because there is no fixed point in space from which we can measure the distance to all other objects. Additionally, the universe is constantly expanding, making it impossible to pinpoint a single center.</p><h2>3. Is the Earth the center of the universe?</h2><p>No, the Earth is not the center of the universe. The ancient Greek astronomer Ptolemy proposed a geocentric model of the universe with Earth at the center, but this has been disproven by modern scientific discoveries.</p><h2>4. Is there a way to measure the distance to the center of the universe?</h2><p>Since the universe has no fixed center, it is not possible to measure the distance to a center point. However, scientists use various methods to measure the distance to different objects in the universe, such as stars and galaxies.</p><h2>5. Are there any theories about the center of the universe?</h2><p>There are various theories about the structure and origin of the universe, but none of them suggest a single, stationary center. Some theories propose a multiverse where our universe is just one of many, while others suggest a constantly expanding and infinite universe without a center.</p>

1. Where is the center of the universe?

The concept of a single, stationary center of the universe is a common misconception. In reality, the universe does not have a center as it is constantly expanding in all directions.

2. Can we determine the center of the universe?

No, we cannot determine the center of the universe because there is no fixed point in space from which we can measure the distance to all other objects. Additionally, the universe is constantly expanding, making it impossible to pinpoint a single center.

3. Is the Earth the center of the universe?

No, the Earth is not the center of the universe. The ancient Greek astronomer Ptolemy proposed a geocentric model of the universe with Earth at the center, but this has been disproven by modern scientific discoveries.

4. Is there a way to measure the distance to the center of the universe?

Since the universe has no fixed center, it is not possible to measure the distance to a center point. However, scientists use various methods to measure the distance to different objects in the universe, such as stars and galaxies.

5. Are there any theories about the center of the universe?

There are various theories about the structure and origin of the universe, but none of them suggest a single, stationary center. Some theories propose a multiverse where our universe is just one of many, while others suggest a constantly expanding and infinite universe without a center.