Have You Explored Orifice Plate FlowMeters in Pipe Research?

In summary, the conversation revolved around research on orifice plates in pipes and the availability of journals or standards to refer to. It was suggested to start with ASME standards, specifically the PTC_195_2004_Flow_Measurement catalog, which provides detailed information on sizing, designing, and calculating results for orifice plates, but it comes at a cost of 195 USD.
Maverk
Hello People,

I was just wondering if any of you done any similar investigation on the following topic. Basically, i currently doing a research on orifice plate in a pipe. It would be great if you guys know any journals that i can refer to.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are at least ASME standards for orifice plate sizing and such. Before diving into any journals, perhaps try some standards. I'd also try API.

Alrite, thanks .. ill have a look on the catalog and see that if i be able to get a copy

1. What is an Orifice Plate FlowMeter?

An Orifice Plate FlowMeter is a type of flow meter used to measure the flow rate of a liquid or gas in a pipe. It consists of a thin plate with a hole in the center, which is placed in the flow of the fluid. The pressure drop across the plate is measured to determine the flow rate.

2. How does an Orifice Plate FlowMeter work?

The Orifice Plate FlowMeter works on the principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that there is a relationship between the velocity and pressure of a fluid. As the fluid passes through the hole in the plate, its velocity increases and the pressure decreases. By measuring the pressure drop, the flow rate can be calculated.

3. What are the advantages of using an Orifice Plate FlowMeter?

One of the main advantages of using an Orifice Plate FlowMeter is its simplicity and low cost. It is also a reliable and accurate method of measuring flow, and can be easily installed in existing pipes. Additionally, it has a wide range of applications and can be used for both liquids and gases.

4. Are there any limitations to using an Orifice Plate FlowMeter?

While the Orifice Plate FlowMeter is a widely used flow measurement device, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for measuring low flow rates, as the pressure drop may not be significant enough to accurately measure. It also requires regular calibration to maintain accuracy.

5. How do I choose the right Orifice Plate FlowMeter for my application?

There are several factors to consider when choosing an Orifice Plate FlowMeter, such as the type of fluid being measured, the flow rate, and the pipe size. It is important to consult with an expert or refer to manufacturer's specifications to ensure that the flow meter is suitable for your specific application.