Why don't we take drift velocity as the average velocity of electrons?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the formula vd = eEτ/me accurately calculates the drift velocity of electrons in a steady current, taking into account the mean relaxation time, τ. The suggested formula, v=d/τ=0.5eEτ/me, does not accurately represent the average velocity of electrons due to its lack of consideration for collisions. Additionally, the average initial velocity, u, may not always be 0 in this scenario.
tan99
Drift velocity, vd = eEτ/me

Drift velocity, as in the current formula I=nevdA should correspond to the average velocity with which the electrons are moving in the steady current, but the formula at top gives the mean FINAL velocity achieved by the electrons in short spurts of time(mean relaxation time, τ).
Since distance d=0.5aτ2 , the average velocity

v=d/τ=0.5eEτ/me

Shouldn't this be a better formula??

PS: The average initial velocity u is 0 I believe...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic about drift velocity. I would like to clarify a few things regarding this formula.

Firstly, the formula vd = eEτ/me is correct and is used to calculate the drift velocity of electrons in a steady current. This formula takes into account the mean relaxation time, τ, which is the average time between collisions of the electrons with the lattice of the material. Therefore, it gives us the mean final velocity achieved by the electrons after multiple collisions.

The formula you suggested, v=d/τ=0.5eEτ/me, is not an accurate representation of the average velocity of electrons in a steady current. This formula only takes into account the distance traveled by the electrons in a certain time period, but it does not consider the effect of collisions on the velocity of electrons.

Moreover, the average initial velocity, u, is not necessarily 0 in this scenario. It depends on the material and the conditions under which the current is flowing. In some cases, the electrons may already have some initial velocity before entering the material, and in other cases, they may be accelerated by an external electric field.

In conclusion, the formula vd = eEτ/me is the correct representation of the drift velocity of electrons in a steady current and it takes into account the mean relaxation time, τ, which is a crucial factor in determining the final velocity of electrons. I hope this clarifies any confusion and thank you for your contribution to this discussion.

1. Why is drift velocity not the same as average velocity of electrons?

The drift velocity of electrons refers to the average velocity at which electrons move in a specific direction under the influence of an electric field. This is different from the average velocity of electrons, which takes into account the overall motion of electrons in all directions, including random thermal motion. Therefore, drift velocity and average velocity of electrons are not the same.

2. Can we use drift velocity as a measure of the speed of electricity?

No, drift velocity is not a reliable measure of the speed of electricity. This is because drift velocity is dependent on the strength of the electric field and the material through which the electricity is flowing. In addition, the overall speed of electricity is much faster than the drift velocity of electrons, as it is determined by the speed of light in the material.

3. Why is drift velocity used to calculate current instead of average velocity?

Drift velocity is used to calculate current because it is the result of the net movement of electrons in a specific direction under the influence of an electric field. This is the motion that is relevant for the flow of electricity in a circuit. Average velocity, on the other hand, takes into account random thermal motion, which does not contribute to the flow of electricity.

4. Is drift velocity the same for all electrons in a circuit?

No, the drift velocity of electrons can vary depending on factors such as the strength of the electric field and the material through which the electrons are flowing. In addition, individual electrons may experience collisions with other particles in the material, which can affect their drift velocity.

5. How is drift velocity related to electric current?

Drift velocity and electric current are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the drift velocity of electrons increases, the electric current in a circuit also increases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that electric current is equal to the product of drift velocity and the number of electrons per unit volume in a material.