Fairly easy acceleration problem stumping me

The correct answer is 180,000N or 180KNIn summary, to calculate the force required to bring an object with a mass of 900kg and a speed of 20 m/s to rest in 0.1 seconds, we use the formula F=M x A. Dividing the speed by the time interval gives us the acceleration, which is then multiplied by the mass to get the force. The correct answer is 180,000N or 180KN.
alpinecg
1.Calculate the amount of force required to bring to rest an object of 900 Kg mass that moves with a speed of 20 m/s. The moving object is brought to rest in a time equal
to 0.1 s. Provide your answer in both N and KN units.

i think to solve this i just need to find force F=M x A

3. I divided 20m/s by the time interval of 0.1s to get acceleration then timed it by the mass of 900kg. the answer i got is 1,800,000N or 1800KN

Physics news on Phys.org
Are not there too many 0-s?

ehild

ah yes i times the 0.1 by 200m/s not 20m/s so the answer would be 180,000N or 180KN

Correct:smile:

ehild

Your calculation is correct! To find the force required to bring an object to rest, we use the formula F = M x A, where F is the force, M is the mass of the object, and A is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is equal to the change in velocity (20 m/s) divided by the time interval (0.1 s). So, we have A = 20 m/s / 0.1 s = 200 m/s^2. Plugging this into the formula, we get F = 900 kg x 200 m/s^2 = 180,000 N. This is the force required to bring the object to rest in N (newtons). To convert to KN (kilonewtons), we divide by 1000, giving us 180 KN. This means that 180 kilonewtons of force are needed to bring the 900 kg object to rest in 0.1 seconds. Good job on your calculation!

1. What is an acceleration problem?

An acceleration problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the change in velocity or speed of an object over time. It usually involves using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What makes an acceleration problem fairly easy?

An acceleration problem is considered fairly easy if it involves a constant acceleration (meaning the acceleration stays the same throughout the motion) and the initial and final velocities are known.

3. What are some common mistakes made when solving acceleration problems?

Some common mistakes when solving acceleration problems include using incorrect units, not accounting for directions (positive or negative), and not properly identifying the known and unknown values in the problem.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for acceleration problems?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills for acceleration problems is to practice regularly and become familiar with the equations and concepts involved. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller steps and checking your work as you go.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration problems?

Real-life examples of acceleration problems include calculating the speed of a roller coaster at different points of its track, determining the acceleration of a car as it travels around a curved road, and finding the acceleration of a falling object due to gravity.