Complex numbers powers and logs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the roots of the function (-e)^iπ and using De Moivre's formula to solve it. However, the process is not straightforward and the person is unsure how to approach it. They mention attempting to apply logarithms but the answer still does not match.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

(-e)^iπ answer is -e^-π2

not sure how to describe this one, but i need to find the roots.

Homework Equations

(r^n)e^(itheta)n = (r^n)cos(thetan) + isin(thetan) n is an element of the reals

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure what to do with this, it is the most weird question on the page. it seems circular to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. Here is my attempt at some help.

When dealing with complex numbers, we can use De Moivre's formula to find roots.

[tex]\alpha={r}{e}^{i\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha^{\frac{p}{q}}={r}^{\frac{p}{q}}{exp(ip({\theta}+2n{\pi})/q)}[/tex]

Example: Find the roots of

[tex]i^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

Using:

[tex]i=e^{\frac{i{\pi}}{2}}[/tex]

And the above equation gives the roots as:

[tex]e^{\frac{i{\pi}}{6}}[/tex]

[tex]e^{\frac{5i{\pi}}{6}}[/tex]

[tex]e^{\frac{9i{\pi}}{6}}[/tex]

I hope that helps.

not really because applying that i still don't get the right answer. I've done many of these types of questions, its just that this one is really weird.

like if i ln and then put it to the e, it is the same thing...

You want to find the roots of a function, right? For which function do you want to find the roots?

CalcYouLater said:
You want to find the roots of a function, right? For which function do you want to find the roots?

-e^ipi i know the answer is -e^(-ipi^2)

1. What exactly are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you raise a complex number to a power?

To raise a complex number to a power, you can use the formula (a + bi)^n = (a^n - b^2n) + (2ab)^n, where n is the power you are raising the number to. You can also use the polar form of a complex number, which is r(cos θ + i sin θ), and use De Moivre's theorem to raise it to a power.

3. What is the difference between a complex number and an imaginary number?

A complex number has both a real and imaginary component, while an imaginary number is purely imaginary and does not have a real component. In other words, a complex number can be written in the form a + bi, while an imaginary number is written as bi.

4. How do logarithms work with complex numbers?

Logarithms of complex numbers can be calculated using the formula log(z) = log(|z|) + i arg(z), where |z| is the absolute value of the complex number and arg(z) is the argument or angle of the complex number in polar form. This is known as the polar form of a logarithm.

5. Are there any practical applications of complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems involving alternating currents, oscillations, and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and financial modeling.