Is Pursuing a Career in Astrophysics and Cosmology Still Considered Risky in 2010?

In summary: However, if you want to do something else with your life, then you'll need to find a way to do that without leaving academia.
PhysicsHigh
Hello

Its 2010 now and I am not really up to date with careers. Is it still an extremely risky to go into astrophysics and/or cosmology? Can you guys tell me how things are going for scientists of all branches if you know? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "extremely risky" ? "How things are going" ? It's pretty hard to find work in general these days if you're in the US, anyways.

PhysicsHigh said:
Is it still an extremely risky to go into astrophysics and/or cosmology? Can you guys tell me how things are going for scientists of all branches if you know?

Like the post above me says, it depends what you mean by 'extremely risky'. With the slightly more esoteric subjects like cosmology, the hard (very hard) part is finding a job in the first place. There aren't many, and new positions are extremely scarce now that funding bodies are having to tighten their wallets quite a lot.

Astrophysics is a slightly different kettle of fish, in that 'astrophysics' is an umbrella term for lots, and lots of different subject areas.

Are you asking with a view to wondering what would be appropriate to study at undergraduate level? If so, you can't study more than a course or two in cosmology anyway, and the skills you'll get are still good so it's a non-issue. There are potentially a lot of 'astrophysics' courses to study at undergraduate, but you'll still complete the core physics curriculum, and even do a lot of the same types of work albeit in a different context to 'regular' physics majors. Thus, at the end of your degree whether you studied 'physics' or 'astrophysics' is a non-issue - both graduates are good at math, problem solving and can probably do some programming too so are equally desirable for hire with many disciplines.

That is, an astrophysics undergraduate degree will leave you as highly employable as a physics degree will (the good-level of employability doesn't mean it's either easy to get a job or you'll get a job that you'll enjoy, however).

Risky meaning will you be able to find employment or have a chance doing research within the field. I am asking because I see a lot of old threads from 06 so I was wondering if things change at least for all kinds of physicists. What do you think it'll be like 5 years from now?

PhysicsHigh said:
Risky meaning will you be able to find employment or have a chance doing research within the field.

Again, it depends. Not a very large percentage of PhD candidates in any branch of Physics (and probably other fields) get tenure-track positions at research universities. PhDs in astrophysics have pretty much the same job prospects outside of academia that any other PhD in a relevant field has; it's a matter of timing, being in the right location, and being able to sell yourself.

PhysicsHigh said:
Risky meaning will you be able to find employment or have a chance doing research within the field. I am asking because I see a lot of old threads from 06 so I was wondering if things change at least for all kinds of physicists. What do you think it'll be like 5 years from now?

You'll be able to find employment, it just might not be what you want to do. To get a job doing any sort of physics, if you're willing to work in industry or academia, is fairly easy. To get the job you want, is almost always very difficult.

You may have seen other posters saying that it's extremely difficult to get a (permanent) job in academia - and it is. This is the case no matter what your discipline is, and cosmology is perhaps even more difficult again. Thus, you shouldn't count on the fact that you'll get a job in academia, and rather consider what you want to do with your life just now.

If you study astrophysics, you'll be doing what you want to do. You'll have the same marketable skillset that a 'regular' physicist will have - so you can apply for those same jobs in industry, and same grad school positions.

1. What is astrophysics cosmology?

Astrophysics cosmology is the branch of science that studies the physical properties and behavior of the universe, including its origins, structure, evolution, and ultimate fate. It combines principles from astrophysics, which focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena, and cosmology, which aims to understand the large-scale structure and dynamics of the universe as a whole.

2. What are the main areas of study in astrophysics cosmology?

The main areas of study in astrophysics cosmology include the Big Bang theory, dark matter and dark energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies and other structures in the universe, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. Other important topics include the nature of black holes, gravitational waves, and the search for extraterrestrial life.

3. How do scientists study astrophysics cosmology?

Scientists study astrophysics cosmology through a combination of observations, theoretical models, and experiments. This can involve using ground-based and space-based telescopes to observe the universe in different wavelengths of light, as well as analyzing data from cosmic ray and particle detectors. Theoretical models are also used to make predictions about the behavior of the universe and test them through observations and experiments.

4. What are some recent developments in astrophysics cosmology?

Some recent developments in astrophysics cosmology include the groundbreaking detection of gravitational waves, which confirmed a key prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity. Other recent advancements include the discovery of exoplanets, which are planets outside of our solar system, and the ongoing search for evidence of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to make up the majority of the universe's mass and energy.

5. What are some practical applications of astrophysics cosmology?

Astrophysics cosmology has several practical applications, including helping us better understand and predict natural phenomena such as solar flares, supernovas, and asteroid impacts. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as satellite communication, GPS, and medical imaging. Additionally, studying the universe can provide insight into the origins of life and potentially help us find habitable planets beyond our solar system.