.Mechanical Engineers: Math Used & Work Explained

• Math
  • Thread starter PhysicsHigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the speaker works as a medical device design engineer, a position that is usually filled by mechanical engineers but can also have other engineering backgrounds. They use algebra, trigonometry, and simple discrete math on a daily basis, as well as moderately complicated statistics. A typical day in their job involves prototyping or testing, meetings, phone calls, and completing required documentation due to regulatory bodies.
PhysicsHigh
For engineers, specifically Mechanical engineers, what kind of math do you use daily and why? Could you also state what kind of work you do.

Thanks a lot

If you do some other engineering work I would not mind to hear from you as well

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you hint as to what you hope to actually get out of this question. Mechanical engineering is a huge area, there will be applications of many more math topics than you've even heard of.

Ok.. What is a regular day in an engineers life?

I will answer both questions. I work as a medical device design engineer. This position is often filled by mechanical engineers, but you find ChemEs, and the occasional odd physicist like me. The math I use on a regular basis is algebra, trig, and simple discrete math. The statistics I do are moderately complicated, but nothing to base your dissertation on.

At typical day for me will involve a short spurt of prototyping or testing, several hours of meetings or phonecalls or otherwise attempting to keep track of the state of the project, and several hours of completing required documentation. My field is documentation heavy because of the regulatory bodies that oversee my work, such as the FDA, GMED, and the PMDA. Other kinds of engineers will typically spend much less time on paperwork than me.

As a scientist and engineer myself, I can attest to the importance of math in the field of mechanical engineering. In fact, it is an integral part of our daily work and is used in a variety of ways.

First and foremost, mechanical engineers use math to design and analyze mechanical systems. This includes calculating forces, stresses, and strains on different components, determining the optimal size and shape of various parts, and predicting how a system will perform under different conditions. Without a strong understanding of math, it would be nearly impossible to accurately design and troubleshoot complex mechanical systems.

In addition, math is also used in the manufacturing and production processes. Engineers must use mathematical models to plan and optimize production processes, such as determining the most efficient use of materials and minimizing waste. This requires a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and statistics.

Furthermore, mechanical engineers use math to develop and test new technologies and products. This involves creating computer simulations and models to predict how a new product or technology will perform in the real world. These simulations rely heavily on mathematical equations and algorithms to accurately represent the physical behavior of the system being studied.

Overall, math is an essential tool for mechanical engineers as it allows us to solve complex problems, make accurate predictions, and design innovative solutions. Without a strong foundation in math, it would be difficult to excel in this field.

As for other engineering disciplines, math is also crucial in fields such as electrical, civil, and chemical engineering. Each discipline may have its own specific applications and uses for math, but ultimately, it is a fundamental tool for all engineers. So if you are interested in pursuing a career in engineering, be prepared to use math extensively in your daily work.

1. What type of math do mechanical engineers use?

Mechanical engineers use a variety of math concepts including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, statistics, and numerical analysis. They also use trigonometry and geometry for designing and measuring parts and structures.

2. How is math used in mechanical engineering?

Math is used in mechanical engineering to design and analyze various systems and components such as machines, engines, and structures. It is also used to calculate forces, stresses, and other physical properties to ensure the safety and efficiency of a design.

3. What are some common applications of math in mechanical engineering?

Some common applications of math in mechanical engineering include thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, mechanics of materials, and control systems. These concepts are used to design and analyze various systems that are used in everyday life such as cars, airplanes, and household appliances.

4. How important is math in the work of a mechanical engineer?

Math is a crucial part of a mechanical engineer's work as it is used to solve complex problems and make accurate calculations. It is also used to create models and simulations to test and improve designs before they are built.

5. Is a strong background in math necessary for a career in mechanical engineering?

Yes, a strong background in math is essential for a career in mechanical engineering. Many mechanical engineering programs require students to take advanced math courses such as calculus and differential equations. Additionally, math is used extensively in daily work tasks and projects in the field of mechanical engineering.