Speed of the meteoroid as it passes close to earth

In summary, the meteoroid heading towards Earth at a speed of 2.94 km/s, crosses the Moon's orbit but misses Earth by 5000 km. To determine its speed at its closest point, conservation of energy can be used by equating the kinetic and potential energies of the system at two different states: the meteoroid at a distance equal to the Earth-Moon distance and at 5000 km from Earth. This type of problem may not have been covered in class, but it can be solved by using the principle of conservation of energy.
mavid
A meteoroid, heading for Earth, has speed 2.94 km/s as it crosses the Moon's orbit, but misses the Earth by 5000 km. What is its speed at its closest point?

No idea what equations to use at all (my physics prof. is crazy about planetary motion and such). Please, give me any suggestions that ou might have. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest conservation of energy. There is kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy of the asteroid-earth system.

nasu said:
I would suggest conservation of energy. There is kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy of the asteroid-earth system.

ok. I aasume then:
K+U= ?
We had not covered such type of problems in the class. I'd appreciate little bit more information about how I set equations in order to derive a correct answer.

I don't know what you mean by "this type of problem".
If you don;t know about mechanical energy is hard to believe that you are studying planetary motion.

Conservation of energy means that you write the expressions for total energy in two states of interest and then you equate these expressions.
For your problem, the two states can be
1. The meteoroid at a distance from Earth equal to the distance Earth-Moon.
2. The meteoroid at 5000 km from Earth.

Write the energies (kinetic and potential) for these two states and equate them.

Last edited:
I figured it out. Thank u for help. And the problem was selected by a professor since he is into planetary motion. We hadn't done anything like that in class, but he likes to "try" us :)

1. What is the speed of a meteoroid as it passes close to earth?

The speed of a meteoroid as it passes close to earth can vary greatly, but it is typically around 20 kilometers per second (12 miles per second). However, some meteoroids can reach speeds of up to 72 kilometers per second (45 miles per second).

2. How does the speed of a meteoroid affect its impact on earth?

The speed of a meteoroid can greatly affect the impact it has on earth. The faster the meteoroid is traveling, the more energy it will have upon impact. This can result in a larger explosion and more damage to the surrounding area.

3. Can the speed of a meteoroid be calculated before it passes close to earth?

Yes, the speed of a meteoroid can be calculated before it passes close to earth. Scientists use various methods, such as radar and telescopes, to track and measure the speed of meteoroids as they approach earth.

4. How does the angle of approach affect the speed of a meteoroid?

The angle of approach can greatly affect the speed of a meteoroid. If the meteoroid is approaching earth at a steep angle, it will have a higher speed compared to a meteoroid that is approaching at a more shallow angle. This is due to the gravitational pull of the earth.

5. Is there a way to slow down the speed of a meteoroid as it passes close to earth?

Currently, there is no known way to slow down the speed of a meteoroid as it passes close to earth. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that may one day be able to alter the course of a meteoroid and potentially decrease its speed before it reaches earth.